• Thunderbolt's picture
    Thunderbolt 41 weeks 1 day ago Page Paul Hein
    Please make it 4.
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 41 weeks 1 day ago Page Lawrence M. Ludlow
    Yes, I almost forgot about the British controlling the cable communication. The episode with the Lusitania of course was very twisted. I believe that Wilson arranged for an advertisement placed by the Germans not to appear in the newspapers of New York. It would have warned passengers about the horrible cargo in that chip, which made it a viable target. Thanks for reminding me about that cable control.
    Jim Davies 41 weeks 1 day ago
    Invisible Growth
    Blog entry Jim Davies
    Not just possible, but inevitable.   The process began based on several assumptions, nearly all of which have since proven sound. It now continues based on one key one which, by design, neither I nor anyone else can verify: that graduates of the Academy will (a) recruit one friend per year to take the course and do likewise, and (b) resign any government job they may hold, after learning their employer's true nature.   That assumption or premise looks very simple to me. Easier than anything I've seen Libertarians doing in three decades of observation. Time alone, of course, will tell; but the front cover of my Transition to Liberty shows a picture of an avalanche and its contents justify the illustration.
    Jim Davies 41 weeks 1 day ago Page Lawrence M. Ludlow
    Pretty darn good! And quite a mouthful, for our French friend to chew over during his flight.   Possibly, it's even better than you suggested; I refer to the timing in WW-I. As soon as it began the Brits lobbied strongly for US help, with a ceaseless campaign that took advantage of the fact that the only transatlantic cable came from the English coast - so the Germans were unable to match the pleading. By 1915 when the Lusitania was sunk - possibly with compiicity by Churchill - it was only a matter of time before the doughboys landed. This strong hope kept Britain in the war. But for that, the stalemate would have been formalized in 1916, before Wilson even got Congressional agreement to enter; millions of lives would have been saved and no German humiliation would have later propelled Hitler to power.   More yet: with a peace agreement in 1916, Tsarist Russia would not have collapsed in chaos in 1917, opening the door to the Bolsheviks; so Lenin's trip across Germany and Scandinavia might have taken place but would have had no particular effect. Hence, no Ukrainian (or German/Jewish) holocaust, no cold war, no Korea, no Vietnam.
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 41 weeks 1 day ago
    Invisible Growth
    Blog entry Jim Davies
    Is it possible?
    Glen Allport 41 weeks 1 day ago
    The Meaning of War
    Blog entry Jim Davies
    Wow, Jim: thanks for unearthing this "blog post" by Dr. Rush. It has real impact.
    Glen Allport 41 weeks 1 day ago
    Invisible Growth
    Blog entry Jim Davies
    I saw Gary's column too and thought the same thing you did, apparently: that churches aren't the only thing that could grow this way. I've always appreciated your efforts with TOLFA, although I'm very pessimistic about individuals understanding (or even being willing to learn about) freedom without twenty years of exposure to the ideas first. But Gary's column is working on that prejudice for me, and I'll keep TOLFA a bit higher in my mind regarding pointing others to your cleverly low-profile Academy.
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 41 weeks 1 day ago Page Paul Hein
    I'll make it 3.
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 41 weeks 1 day ago Page Lawrence M. Ludlow
    I would role play this: Yes, the American government should never have intervened under Wilson. If the government of the United States had minded its own business in WW1, the following benefits would have followed:   1. The Germans would not have shipped Lenin to Russia by way of Finland, taking one spark away from the Bolshevik phase of the revolution.   2. The United States government would not have bribed the Russian duma (parliament) with $26 million to remain in WW1 -- a war that the Russian people hated and were dying from (men sent into battle without weapons), dead relatives, no farm workers, etc. Again, this may have taken the heat away from the Bolsheviks -- ultimately saving as many as 50 million Russian souls under Lenin and Stalin.   3. The communist revolution in China may never have occured.   4. The Versailled treaty imposed by your nation of France (points to  man in airport) on the German as well as the ridiculous reparations and other vindictive measures would never have happened.   5. The U.K. and France would have had no decisive victory over Prussia and Austria.   6. The stalemate situation of WW1 would have petered out into a settlement with a few boundaries shifted, but no further conflict since both sides were exhausted and stalemated.   7. There would have been no Hitler, no Nazis, no WW2 -- and we wouldn't be having this conversation, and your boyhood would have been much happier, and the Zionists would not now be persecuting the Palestinians with their apartheid state of Israel -- a tinderbox of conflict in the Middle East. The wars in Central America, Iraq (both), Afghanistan, Libya, etc. would never have happened.   8. My country, the United States, would never have become a captive of the military-industrial-congressional-comples, the cold war would never have manifested, tens of millions of war victims would not have been lost, and the United States would not have become transformed into an Evil Empire bent on world domination.   9. Boeing and the other aerospace companies would still be able to build good passenger planes instead of living on government welfare and building wasteful, failing products because they were spoiled with cost-plus government contracts.   10. Millions of people in the United States would earn a living in productive occupation instead of "supporting the troops" with every silly breath!   11. France would still be a socialist nightmare...some things cannot be changed!   How's that Jim? That was a bit of fun!
    Jim Davies 41 weeks 1 day ago Page Paul Hein
    Seconded.
  • ReverendDraco's picture
    ReverendDraco 41 weeks 1 day ago Page Paul Hein
    What a wonderful example of "reductionem in salsus!" I hereby nominate you for the position of Honorary Professor of Sarcasm, PhDuh.
    Jim Davies 41 weeks 2 days ago Page Lawrence M. Ludlow
    Hmm. Perhaps we're the only two round here who fly. Okay, what say we role play?   You saw I was elderly, but now in my further reply you detect a French accent. It happens, in airports. I say...   "When I was a boy, my country was occupied by les boches - Germans. My father and his friends were able to help several English and Americain airmen across the Swiss border, and sometimes even I would assist, conveying messages and so on. So we French have good reason to be grateful to our liberators. What is this you are saying about 'statist interventionism'? I do not comprehend you."
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 41 weeks 3 days ago Page Lawrence M. Ludlow
    As one root striker, I would simply say let's go to the root of the terrorism issue. Let's eliminate statist interventionism, and then terrorism would take care of itself. And finally, let each airliner compete with the other airliners to determine what produces the best safety record. In other words, let the free market work.
    Jim Davies 41 weeks 3 days ago Page Lawrence M. Ludlow
    Fellow travelers usually agree that it's demeaning and undignified to undergo TSA scrutiny, but say it's better than being killed by a suicide bomber.   Given that time may limit one to a few sentences, how do Root Strikers respond to that?
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 41 weeks 5 days ago Page Lawrence M. Ludlow
    Hi, Jim. Thanks for the tip. & I agree with you about confronting the TSA. It is not a good idea in many cases. And thanks for the suggestion about your friend. 1 reader has also suggested a South Park episode that I missed: the Toilet Safety Administration. Very funny. Here's the link: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu6KXj-vtl8
    Jim Davies 41 weeks 5 days ago Page Lawrence M. Ludlow
    Tour de force, Lawrence! A splendid technique for undermining TSA morale. Excellent idea to leave copies of Becky's blogs for other passengers to read.   Another idea (which I've never tried, yet) is to print out copies of this page - with its URL - and when the molesting is over, ask nicely if you may give one to him/her to read later.   Generally, I avoid aggravating government thugs when they have immediate power to do me harm. Better, IMO, to let them think I'm complying normally, while in fact I'm taking action to pull the whole rug of government out from under them. One can do both, of course, but to me, that's striking the root more than trimming the branches.   Over at the Daily Anarchist, Davi Barker relates his recent experience with the TSA, and he's probably more in-their-face. He's detected two different classes of groper.
    Jim Davies 42 weeks 1 hour ago
    Ice Cube is a Fan!
    Blog entry Alex R. Knight III
    Cool!
    Glock27 42 weeks 20 hours ago Web link Bradley Keyes
    Cops just seem to keep racking them up. The older the better. Some time back I had a knock on my door at about 3:30 a.m. In my underwear I came downstairs with a .357, hollow point rounds in my Ruger GP100, six inch barrel. I turned on the porch light and drew the window curtain window back with the pistol barrel. When I saw who it was I laid my firearm down on the chair and opened the door. Hmm! The Deputy Sheriff didn't seem to be fazed by the fact he was confronted with a firearm. I found that to be rather interesting.
    Glock27 42 weeks 21 hours ago Web link Bradley Keyes
    How many years will it take till we understand that cops are jack boots, eager to molest, rape, beat, torture and murder innocent, law abiding citizens. Daily cops are in the news over some wrong doing against law abiding citizens. I have often wondered why we never, ever hear about serial cop killers. One would think someone has been mistreated badly enough for their nut to crack and go on a spree. Cop Block.com provides plenty of examples of daily police brutality.
    Glock27 42 weeks 21 hours ago Web link Bradley Keyes
    Scream Rooms: This has to be an idea dreamed up by an administrator. Also, I have no doubt that many teachers found this a token answer to their immediate problem. 1) you cannot diciplien a mentally for physically handicapped individual. They are not equipped with the necessary brain cells to make the reasonable synaptic connection that goes into correcting the behavior Punishment for the behavior only seems to reinforce the response. Here they are asking the least educated to come up with a solution and what senator or representative has any kind of an idea. Good ol Shrub and "No child left behind" policy, but he's not to blame. In my 32 years of teaching in special education I never found a reasonable program that offered any help at all. For me all I had was to return the student to his living unit and let him return the next day and hope for the best. Here's one I would be interested in how home schooling would work out???
    Jim Davies 42 weeks 1 day ago
    A Friendly Addendum
    Blog entry Alex R. Knight III
    Super comment, Alex!
    Glock27 42 weeks 1 day ago Web link Westernerd
    This merely reflects that there are bad apples in every barrel, but it does not imply that every apple there is bad. Now can these apples be infected, coerced into doing unnatural things in the community. Certainly it does. They have a family to feed, retirement to think of, health benefit needs. But a cop too smart for his own good!! Give me a break. However, in a creative perspective it makes sense to have a moron cop, proven when one tasers himself on a traffic stop. "To Protect and Serve" is a assonym. Am I afraid of cops. You bet. I have no idea what kind of imagination these guys have. How many are thinking of a long paid vacation for killing a citizen--mighty tempting. Are there any good cops? Sure here are, but you can't tell the difference between a good one and a bad one. They all look the same to me.
    Jim Davies 42 weeks 3 days ago Page Jim Davies
    Again, Lawrence, you may be right; but I don't want to debate how this or that government may try to hijack last weekend's revolution. We hope none do; we may be disappointed. I will leave it there.   What I shall long remember is the sheer pleasure of learning that a tyrant had been toppled, and that a government had vanished, along with its uniformed enforcers. It taught me that they are by no means as invulnerable as they pretend. The image I'll also remember is of a family on some street in Kiev, which accompanied the quoted NBC News words; parents and a couple of small kids, who were skipping along the sidewalk as small kids do everywhere. Then there was a lady, walking her dog.   This was close to the central square, and there wasn't a cop in sight, and all was perfectly normal.
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 42 weeks 3 days ago Page Jim Davies
    FYI It was Randi Rhodes. http://radioequalizer.blogspot.com/2008/04/randi-rhodes-suspended-after-...
  • Thunderbolt's picture
    Thunderbolt 42 weeks 3 days ago Page Jim Davies
    In the U.S., the number of laws on the books is phenomenal: many thousands of pages. There are cops of various types behind every bush, no matter where you live. That other Bush was correct that the famous document is completely shredded. An avalanche seems likely here. Bring it on!
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 42 weeks 3 days ago Page Jim Davies
    Glock: The only reason that the Fox network appears slightly palatable today is that the Republicans are no longer in office. Don't forget that the liberal Air America was much more tolerable during the Bush administration. Once the Republicans win again, Fox network and its various friends will once again be totally unlistenable warmongers and big government advocates once again. As an example one afternoon talk show host on Air America in 2008 was featuring Ron Paul speeches for 3 hours straight. She was booted off of the air by Air America because she called Hillary Clinton a bitch and whore, which shows that it does not pay to tell the truth.
    Glock27 42 weeks 3 days ago Page Jim Davies
    Lawarence: 1) I don't believe you are skeptical--I think history and current events have proven that The videos having a powerful, professional presentation, much like the commercials we have on the flat screen. Slickifying the media helps sell what most Americans are use to and nothing is lost from crude presentation. Besides the national media has been on the [o]bama side from the beginning. Free press is a joke. The U.S. Media is not in a straight jacketed. If you have debased yourself long enough you notice they leave out piles of information and press their own agenda's. I don't know if FOX is telling the truth but they seem to be doing something causing the Major Media Outlets and other Communist, psychopathic, socialist is trying to break them and get them off the air. I wait for Americans to hate the Federal Government for starving us, depleating our supplies, bowing to other nations. No Lawrence I think you are right on. Maybe you don't give yourself enough for your analytical ability
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 42 weeks 3 days ago Page Jim Davies
    Hi, Jim: Like you, I really hope it is a genuine bid for freedom, but I doubt it for several reasons. Maybe I'm just to skeptical, but here is my thinking:   1. That video is too polished, the girl too lovely, the timing too perfect (even though any good advertiser would do the same). I think it is an attempt at information dominance by the powers-that-be.   2. In the straightjacket of US media, there have been no broadcasts aired showing the anti-protester protests by the Russian population. There have been numerous anti-protester demonstrations in favor of the elected government, but they are carefully ignored in Europe and in the USSA. They, too, have a camp near the square.   3. The fact is that the Ukrainians rightfully despise the Russian regimes, if for no other reason than the very good one you just mentioned--the engineered Ukrainian famine that killed them by the millions. Meanwhile, many ethnic Russians "settled" there under various Soviet policy "incentives," and their descendants remain and cannot be blamed since they were not born yet -- primarily in eastern Ukraine. But this mutual conflict seems more tribal than a bid for freedom--my tribe vs. your tribe. Even worse, it may be my collectivist tribe vs. your collectivist tribe.   4. Let's not forget that agreements backed by the USSA and EU are in the nature of a bailout, and they come with long and fetid "strings" attached -- namely mandates to purchase weapons systems from US and EU manufacturers for the military-industrial-congressional complex. Mandated arms sales are part and parcel of these economic arrangements. This is an attempt to bring NATO to the doors of Moscow. It is a continuation of the Cold War under another set of cross-dressing apparel. Look what happened to Poland. After decades of coercion by both Nazis and Soviets (and despite their history as the most tolerant society in Europe for hundreds of years, allowing [comparatively] unmatched freedom and non-persecution of Jews, 80% of whose world population lived in Poland at some time or another), they knuckled under completely to a new dark master: the death-bringing USSA and the vampire Uncle Sam-Dracul. It should not surprise us that Poland is now the site of US kidnap-rendition-and-torture centers worthy of Egypt and Jordan. They have been suborned and corrupted by the promises of bullies. And you won't get a straight story from an immigrant living in the USSA. Most immigrants adopt a bizarre nationalism once they arrive here and want nothing but US warmaking aginst the people they left behind. Look at the native Chaldean population here -- nearly all of them neocons to a man and woman, or at least they were in San Diego. Once the USSA gets its claws into Ukraine, I foresee much of the same thing--a suborning of otherwise wonderful people to the new bully on the block. I wouldn't be surprised if their food becomes adulterated as well -- with GMO potato bread and kasha varnishkes that can be converted into a polyester shirt circa 1973.     I can only hope that a massive wave of indigestion hits the US government before it can gobble up yet another tortured people. As former UN weapons inspector and Marine, Scott Ritter, once said: "All empires die of the same thing: indigestion." I just don't want to be around for the flatulence. The air promises to be unbreatheable.
    Jim Davies 42 weeks 3 days ago Page Jim Davies
    Update: there's a Daily Coin video out, at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkGYl4rPgaA which is well worth watching, even though less polished than the clip whose link I gave. Recorded last Friday. It's an interview with a libertarian Ukrainian American called Roman, now living in Lviv, who has recently been with the Maidan protesters. It's an on-the-ground report. He confirms that FedGov agents are rather blatantly trying to influence them, but that the core motivation is home-grown and genuine. At the end he calls it a struggle between the government and the population. He has a lot to say... great stories of prosecutor's offices being raided and all the files being burned on the street. One fact I'd quite forgotten is that Ukraine continued fighting the Soviets for ten years following WW-II. For good reason (nine million of them were starved to death by Stalin) there is a powerful anti-Russian sentiment.
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 42 weeks 3 days ago Page Jim Davies
    Thanks, & I will watch the video afterwards. I can't during the day because I'm working. But yes I really do appreciate the idea that governments are finally imploding. It's about time. They have reached the natural elastic limit of their overreach and piggishness, haven't they?
    Jim Davies 42 weeks 3 days ago
    Trade Unions
    Page Jim Davies
    Thanks T-Bolt, and thank you ReverendDraco for that moving confirmation of my point. The only puzzle is that despite being in holy orders, your collar is blue.   Always, I'd supposed that such are not only white, but fully encircling of the neck and hence very visibly white...
    Jim Davies 42 weeks 3 days ago Page Jim Davies
    Lawrence, you could be right; and Ms Nuland's uncouth remarks certainly indicate that Hillary's Department is trying to pull the puppet strings.   Also, the heavy weight of Leftist opinion is just as you say.   You watched the referenced video clip I hope, and that strongly suggests that to the contrary, it's a home-grown grass-roots movement. Either way, perhaps you'll agree with my point about government vulnerability.   In any case, my paragraph beginning "Because of the lack..." acknowledges that the revolution may fail, or be diverted; and says why. Let's hope not.
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 42 weeks 4 days ago Page Jim Davies
    Hi, Jim. I like your view on many of these things, but what do you think about McAdams and his take on the Ukraine: http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives/featured-articles/2014/february/06/... You probably know that Justin Raimondo believes that the Kiev episodes are just another case of a US-sponsored coup d'etat: http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2014/02/23/coup-in-kiev/
  • ReverendDraco's picture
    ReverendDraco 42 weeks 4 days ago
    Trade Unions
    Page Jim Davies
    "It will also equip him with on-the-job experience, a.k.a. training; very soon he will no longer be unskilled, but skilled; able to negotiate a better pay rate, with his current employer or another." As a young man, I did the whole minimum wage, washing dishes/working in fast food gig. . . and frakking hated it. In the 8 years (ages 16-24) I spent working for MW, I was unemployed, broke, and homeless as often as not - because I hated it so much. I finally got out of the MW ratrace by. . . learning more marketable and valuable skills. I am now almost 50, and haven't worked for minimum wage in 25 years. . . It's kind of amazing, the number of pro-parasite/pro-MW zombies who have come down on me for telling my story - for trying to show people that it truly is possible to get a raise without using government guns. My wife earns nearly twice what I do (she's more akin to a white-collar worker, whereas I'm more blue-collar), and has never belonged to a union in her life.
  • Thunderbolt's picture
    Thunderbolt 42 weeks 4 days ago
    Trade Unions
    Page Jim Davies
    I remember reading that more than fifty thousand manufacturing companies have moved offshore. Certainly the unions played a major role. The Hitler quote is striking.
    Jim Davies 42 weeks 6 days ago
    Ukraine
    Blog entry Jim Davies
    So ends a fantastic week! - the protesters have got pretty well all they demanded. It now remains to be seen whether they will be sold down-river, and whether US/EU influence within their movement will twist the revolution into a shape they never wanted. It also remains to be seen whether Putin of Russia will intervene to protect his back yard.   I know of no in-depth libertarian education that has been done in preparation for this change, so it is wide open to those dangers. They have dispatched one tyrant, who slunk out of the capital, tail between legs (joke of the day: "Chicken Kiev") but the institutions of government still remain so another could take his place.
    Jim Davies 42 weeks 6 days ago Web link Bradley Keyes
    A Classical Liberal of the finest kind. HK is the next best thing to a ZGS. Well found, Bradley.
    Glock27 43 weeks 14 hours ago
    A Minor Office
    Celebraty is all he is at this time given the polls he is holding the wroset in history. Worse than Jimmy the bean Carter. I would wager that Carter is so elated that the black man has destroyed the honor of the Presendency of the united states. i still contend he intends to make the best of a worst situation that will given him another term as president and I believe it will come under his revised "possee Comitus atc he recently re-wrote giving the military LEO powers never had beforel
    Alex R. Knight III 43 weeks 19 hours ago Web link Bradley Keyes
    ...or Vermont, better still.  Then buy your guns & ammo in NH to avoid sales tax.  :-)
    Glock27 43 weeks 1 day ago
    A Minor Office
    AMEN. Paul. This was human growth, despite the majoriy of leaders at the signing were religious individuals they may have seen a way way to benefit from the document, then of course many of the famous farmers were elitist as well. I doubt that there were any common people invited to the convension. If they were could they have made a contribution. Those who wish for power will always devise a plan to obtain it and to gain more over time.
    Jim Davies 43 weeks 2 days ago Web link A. Magnus
    A good find, A Magnus! Paul Craig Roberts has done some good work. I recall his outstanding portrait of govenment health care in the waning years of the USSR, for example.   In this piece however he competely fails to follow his own logic. Near the start he correctly writes "This [free-market] theory doesn’t work when the US government socializes cost and privatizes profits" but doesn't stop right there and observe that when government does that, no free market is operating. Any and all bad consequences result therefore not from a free market but from the absence of a free market.   The obvious answer is to dispense with government so that a free market can operate; but Roberts is a conservative, not an anarchist, so he won't let himself propose that.   Will a free society handle the problem of robots replacing human labor? - of course. The replacement or enhancement of labor by tools has been going on since our Race first evolved, and the result has been by far the most successful species on Earth.
    Jim Davies 43 weeks 2 days ago
    Ukraine
    Blog entry Jim Davies
    This view that the protesters are not much interested in the EU but just opposed to the Ukraine government is supported by a string of posts made to the Guardian forum on January 23rd by one Iryna Riasnianska - you can read them here. One sample:   WE DO NOT FIGHT FOR EUROPE,WE FIGHT AGAINS YANUKOVICH.   She hasn't posted since. I hope she's still alive.
    Paul 43 weeks 2 days ago Web link A. Magnus
    It's weird to see Paul Craig Roberts sounding like a communist. It's also strange to see him describing what we have now as a free market.
    Paul 43 weeks 2 days ago
    A Minor Office
    The Constitution is just a fig leaf that covers up what really goes on. There may have been a time when the rulers considered it otherwise - perhaps as an actual restraint. But that period surely did not last long. The end of the Federalist Party after the unconstitutional Alien and Sedition Acts might be the only example where the Constitution worked as advertised, but the rulers in question simply moved on to other parties or created new ones.
    Paul 43 weeks 2 days ago Page Paul Bonneau
    I have read various descriptions of non-state courts and arbitrations as well. Who knows what the things would actually look like. But even in arbitrations you are talking about making a case to others - the arbitrators. Again my perception is that the case is easier to make if the victim is not careless.
    Paul 43 weeks 2 days ago Page Paul Bonneau
    Sorry, in my example I did not explicitly say that the seller responded negatively to the question, "Do you know of any problem with it?" But that's what I had in mind. Your description of fraud boils down to a theft accomplished through lying, ignoring any contribution of gullibility. The bulk of my point remains, though. Even if the guy lied, that does not relieve one of the responsibility to take care. Particularly in such a case where the lie would be very hard to prove, and where lying about the condition of a vehicle is known to be rampant. Third party observers would have less sympathy for you than with a direct theft. "Walking down a dark alley in an area known for muggings is just plain stupid, but being reckless with your personal safety doesn't change the mugging into a non-criminal act." In Libertopia people will still be expected to take reasonable care. If they are careless they will surely recover less than if they were careful. I don't think there will be much sympathy for the notion that people deserve to be made whole no matter how much their own actions enabled the crime. Perhaps I am misreading people, but I believe that is the way it will go.
  • John deLaubenfels's picture
    John deLaubenfels 43 weeks 2 days ago Web link A. Magnus
    That "Wipe You Off The Map" supposed quote is a mis-translation.  Of course, that hasn't prevented pro-Israel fanatics from trumpeting it endlessly.
    Jim Davies 43 weeks 2 days ago
    Rothbard vs. LeFevre
    Page Jim Davies
    No problem, Mike, with a woman killing someone "in the heat of" raping her, if she can. Even though it's overkill (literally) it's justified self-defense because she can reasonably assume that after having had his way, he will kill her to silence her.   But "I have no issue, morally, with a woman killing her rapist... months or years later" goes well beyond self-defense. That's retaliatory murder; revenge, not justice. It seems very clear to me that it stands well outside the libertarian moral standard of non-aggression. Should the rapist's family file suit against her and I was part of the court, I would find her liable for damages - and if she should refuse to pay, that fact would be published. So few would then trust her as to make life intolerably difficult.
    Jim Davies 43 weeks 2 days ago
    A Minor Office
    Super piece, Paul. Should be required reading in every civics class.   Is the FedGov "legitimate"? - no way! - but would it be legitimate even if all of it strictly observed all the limitations fixed by the charter that created it?  I don't think so.
  • mhstahl's picture
    mhstahl 43 weeks 3 days ago
    Rothbard vs. LeFevre
    Page Jim Davies
    That is an interesting question, Jim. In 1998 I'd have likely answered much as you did (though likely without the non-aggression basis-I really did not know much about that back then.)   Today, I have a much different view. One that is a bit more complex, but to me more satisfying.   First, I would point out that retaliation is not aggression: it is not an initiation of force, it is, by definition, a response to force. So I don't think that there is a moral issue with retaliation: I have no issue, morally, with a woman killing her rapist-immediatly afterwords, or months or years later. Or her husband, or brother, or sister for that matter. That doesn't mean it would be always advisable. This is where the necessity of retaliation comes into play, and why it can be such a powerful means to reduce violence in a society. It does not rely on amorphous morality to moderate actions, it relies on something much more basic: self-preservation.   In the case of rape, why would'nt a woman kill her rapist now, in today's world? I submit that it is not out of moral scruples, but rather because of the dire consequences of such an act. The state, in effect, becomes the rapists "protector" and will exact a terrible vengence should she execute her rapist. She has no force to counter the state at all, its capacity for violence is overwhelming-when they come for her, it is simple suicide to fight back.   This is why the state's ban on retaliation is so insideous-it protects the violent and permits them to act with impunity with only predictable risk.   Now, if she truly were able to recover her faculties and shoot the man while still "in the heat of the moment" I daresay few juries would convict her-but even so, the case itself would no doubt ruin her. So the rapist lives another day, perhaps he is "punished" by the "system", and perhaps not. But he knows, and knew before the rape that the response to his aggression would be both predictable and survivable. He would not be castrated, he would not be himself violated(except perhaps in prison), he would not starve. At worst, he would spend a number of years in prison-only if caught and proven guilty....there is a good possibility that nothing will happen at all, but he knows what will not happen.    Now, let's imagine that overwhelming force of the state is removed. Suddenly there is no "system", there is no cushy predictability in the response to aggression. The rapist has no Earhly clue what will happen in the aftermath of the rape. Nothing might happen. Or he might be killed outright immediately afterword, or he might live minus a few interesting parts of his anatomy, which likely tasted odd...   Not only does he have to worry about the response, but he faces the problem of finding a woman vulnerable to rape in the first place. Without the false security of the state's overwhelming force, people would-as they once did not so very long ago-be preoccupied with generating true security for themselves. Families would be tighter, better armed, and larger with networks of friends that exist not simply to provide a social outlet, but to stand with the group in times of trouble and add to its ability to bring force as needed. So, the rapist would not simply be attacking an individual, but a large and powerful group. A group whose purpose is to protect its members from aggression-part of the way they do that is simply stength in numbers-providing a strong defense. But another part, a crucial part, is to respond to acts of aggression.   In this situation, an attack upon another group is a very serious matter for the attacker. Violence threatens the entire group, and an individual actor risks being cast from thier protective group. In the case of the rapist, he would be left at the hands of his victim, and her entire family who would face no consequences whatsoever for anything that they might do to him. Anything. At. All.   The woman, though, is in much the same boat. Since any sort of confrontation and violence puts the group at risk, there would be a poweful impetus for individuals to not allow themselves to be vulnerable to attack, AND to be very careful in thier response to such an attack. In the case of rape with no witnesses or other evidence, a woman would have to be very careful in her response-she would want to know that her protectors were behind her first, and convinced that the rape took place. Otherwise she faces the same unpredictability as the rapist. Will she shoot her rapist? Maybe, but it is a very risky proposition. A calculating woman might even commit true murder in this way, by falsly claiming rape....and perhaps get away with it. She better not try it twice. Indeed, even self-defense is risky, therefore it is far better to avoid situations where it might be needed.   In the end, what results is a society that, without any centralized authority or overwhelming force, maintains stability and internal peace in part because of the very real threat of retaliation. People have a very serious responsibility to protect themselves, and any sort of violence is incredibly dangerous....not just for the aggressor, but for everyone.   Anthropolgists have a term for this sort of society, "Peace in the Feud", and it is a system that tends to develop anywhere government is not present, or ineffectual. Large parts of rural Africa (not just Somalia) live this way today-and it is remarkably similar to quasi-anarchic and anarchic historical societies in Europe and elsewhere. This is despite wild variation in other customs and morality.   It winds up superficially very similar to many libertarian models-Rothbard's especially-but for very different reasons. To me it is what freedom looks like. There is no need for a program to get from here to there, it will happen on its own when the current power structure falls apart and is not replaced by another-as it will, eventually.   So, that's how I would answer: morally, blow his brains out, but, practically, be reserved.   Anyway, there be my thoughts. As I wrote, an interesting topic.   Mike