Glock27 45 weeks 3 days ago Page Kevin M. Patten
    So far, regarding this circumcision issue I believe you have made the most penetrating point. I guess from my perspective, what is really the big deal about to circumcise or not. I do not recall the first circumcised individual I ever observed, but I remember the feeling "What's wrong with him." I looked at him as being abnormal, but soon learned it was a practice of choice for the parents. That is why I have said earlier, someone must come up with a clear definition of aggression, violence, etc. I think all individuals use the term as common language with a common understanding of the terms. I am saying, in the case of this site, it must be more clear than common language terms if honest dialogue is going to occur. This may be a stupid point to some, but I have to believe there are a few who recognize this same need. "nobody ever discusses circumcision or spanking" It's an apple orange issue. Most people don't give a fuq about those issues, except in school where spanking is illegal. I believe that in some crimes committed that judges should order public spankings of the offender rather than waste of tax payer money with keeping them in jail. But of course, if we put them in jail, then it keeps jobs going! I would be interested in knowing how many members here would agree with public spankings for criminals who commit non-felony crimes. I guess the problem with this is it still falls under aggression--maybe the criminal should be given the choice, public spanking or jail?
  • BrianDrake's picture
    BrianDrake 45 weeks 3 days ago Page Paul Bonneau
    Fraud is theft through deception. It is not just chocked up to caveat emptor. If you give your consent to an exchange when the other person has purposely misrepresented what they are exchanging, then the fraudulent party obtained your property without your consent (i.e., you consented to trade X for Y, not X for Z. If Z is provided instead of Y through deception, then the other party did not fulfill their side of the agreement and thus have obtained X without consent). Obtaining the property of others without their consent is just another way of saying "theft". Defining aggression purely in terms of initiated force is common, but not immediately accurate in describing the violations the NAP condemns (it can be ultimately reconciled as accurate, but requires a more complex discussion). The actual issue is that of consent. The NAP is simplified, less confusing, and more rigorous if you consider aggression as any action involving non-consensual interaction with the property of another person; i.e., aggression is violating the consent of others. This definition clearly includes violent actions (e.g., assault, rape, murder, kidnapping) and non-violent actions (e.g., various forms of theft including fraud, trespassing, refusal to make restitution for accidental damage). Determining if consent has been given of course requires determining who has the authority to give or deny consent for that which is contested (a human body in the case of violence, external resources in other cases). This is where an understanding of ownership is required. The libertarian case for self-ownership (i.e., the ownership of your own body) and ownership of resources through first-appropriation and consensual exchange is the most coherent and capable of being followed (unlike, for example, universal ownership which effectively requires inaction and thus death).
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 45 weeks 4 days ago Page Jim Davies
    That would about size up the US government, Yes it would.
  • Kevin M. Patten's picture
    Kevin M. Patten 45 weeks 4 days ago Page Kevin M. Patten
    Paul, I mean to say how charible and giving people are in their hatred towards this topic, whenever it can be brought up. It brings out the worst in people, and I've already admitted as much with myself. "You won't find vitriol there." No doubt Paul - not a measured report by any means. A bit of a tirade. And I have written more than a few. This is a personal issue that has been building up frustration within me for some time. Seeking the anger from others might be my fault, but if I feel it important enough to discuss cogenially with others, and cant seem to do so - ever! - my "report" will reflect something as to how I experience these tital waves of resentment.  "They are too busy haranguing each other to have a discussion." I understand how difficult this is in the real world. A few nights ago in LA, during a protest against police brutaity and for Kelly Thomas, I tried to explain to someone how - if you follow the link here about "Religion" - any semblance of criticism towards the practice of sucking off amputated foreskins is greeted with calls of Anti-Semitism, along with another lengthy rant about the Holocaust. I couldnt even finish my 3-4 sentences before I was called a fascist, by some friggin kid hiding behind a mask for god's sake. You're right - its tough to have even-handed discussions about this personal stuff. Jokes about statism, welfarism, and people who go off to fight in horribly iillegal wars - all can usually be done with a handshake and smile. But with racism, religion, rape, genital mutilation - the critique, i feel, has to be served icy cold. No one understands it any other way.
  • Thunderbolt's picture
    Thunderbolt 45 weeks 4 days ago Page Jim Davies
    It is fascinating how many Hitler-like monsters we have had here: Lincoln, Wilson, Truman, FDR, LBJ, George I, George II, Obama. Hitler with nuclear weapons is a scary thought. Do we have that now? I hope we live through it. Killing millions of people in an afternoon is a sobering possibility. As George Carlin said, " We like war. We are good at it. We get a lot of practice. We especially like to kill brown people."
    Glock27 45 weeks 4 days ago
    Schoolteacher Cheating
    Web link Don Stacy
    I think I would wager, that from somewhere upon high, the teachers were drawn into this plot, mostly to save their jobs. I taught 32 years in Special Education and never had a cheater; how can you cheat at learning to tie your own shoe? Among other simple tasks. The only intellectual challenge I had was how to generate a curriculum to meet the specific need of the student. Reason being, there are no real Special Education curriculum materials in the market place. I got out because I was not, according to Bush. a highly qualified teacher despite having my Masters in Special Education. Your option was to return to college and take three specific classes deemed critical by legislators or take a test at $200 each. What was that all about? Control. Glad you had a positive experience Paul.
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 45 weeks 4 days ago Page Jim Davies
    Jim, thanks. You have inspired me to read it again. You received a lot of good information from it and have really done us a wonderful favor by identifying some good reasons for taking a second look at this work. Thanks again.
    Jim Davies 45 weeks 4 days ago Page Jim Davies
    It didn't numb my mind quite that much, Lawrence.  It wandered a fair bit, and yes the world would have been much better had he stuck to painting, but it does follow a certain logic.   It has two parts. The first, and more interesting to me, is autobiographical. It relates seqentially how he acquired his Weltanschauung. I could understand it, and in my article I tried to pinpoint just where he went wrong - which premise was most false. It was the earliest one: that the State is a valid and importent entity, worth helping to strengthen. There were also flawed steps of reason; for example he saw that foreign-looking Jew in Vienna and concluded that no Jew could also be a patriotic German. An amazing and tragic extrapolation.   The second part is more about how he planned to build the NSDAP as a party, and then direct the State how to flourish. There is, as I also said, some useful material there for anyone building any movement. I was less interested in all that, for I don't believe government will vanish as a result of "building a movement." The most interesting item in that part, to me, was his decision to abolish parliamentary procedure within the Party. He said it wasted time, while emulating the methods of their opponents. Instead, one Leader would make decisions, delegating specified functions to deputies who would also rule their departments and be accountable for performance. However he could not possibly have implemented that choice unless he had already proven to his comrades that he could deliver the goods; ie pull in truckloads of converts by his speeches. They must have seen him as a kind of superman. That was a really key moment, and it happened in about 1922.   That Hitler was wrong on almost everything is true of course but I still think Mein Kampf is worth reading as a record of what enabled him to cause so much misery.
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 45 weeks 4 days ago Page Jim Davies
    Jim, I remember getting about halfway through this book (Mein Kampf), and finally I put it down. Why? Because it reminded me of having a conversation with the usual half-drunk boob down any-stupid-street USA. The prosaic assumptions and low-brow accusations just piled up higher and higher. This, combined with the German overuse of substantives made it a lumbering mess of a read. Oy veh!
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 45 weeks 4 days ago Page Jim Davies
    Ha! Sad, but true--and I'm referring to Mein Kampf, of course. Reading Hitler's stuff is pretty mind numbing. He really should have stuck with painting. The world would have been a better place, and his paintings really are not that bad. More and more, I realize that many artists are really very disturbed people, and it is a big mistake to give them political power. But I guess that goes for anyone in any profession when you think about it
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 45 weeks 4 days ago Page Kevin M. Patten
    I think it is a good sign that Americans are engaging in less violent intervention in this area than in the past. My observations during childhood were much as Kevin's . And I think that barbaric practices such as circumcision are, indeed, a stepping stone to later aggression by parents against their children. I recall a psychiatrist friend of my former wife--he was always a rude and insulting "host" to me--who demonstrated in his person the potential for "medicalized" bloodthirstiness and totalitarianism that pervades far too many physicians and "healthcare" professionals. They are all to willing to spout the politically correct "soviet" science of their day as if it were true for now and all time--only to wake up years later and realize they had it all wrong (if they are honest about it). Far too many doctors are in favor of imposing a regime of mandatory health practices, which is why so many ancients fled in terror at the approach of a doctor, and with good reason. As Thomas Szaz pointed out frequently, people who attempt to "medicalize" social life by pretending to find medical excuses for mandates and prohibitions enforced at the point of a gun are the enemies of civilization--and it would be redundant to say "free civilization." When I think of today's abuses by medical professionals--especially psychiatrists--I cannot help but think of the Soviet-era concentration camps where people who were defined as mentally ill because of their non-soviet political beleifes and were buried alive.
    Glock27 45 weeks 5 days ago Page Jim Davies
    Lawrence: I got suckered into purchasing this text and now you are saying it is nothing more than the ravings of a loony?
    Paul 45 weeks 5 days ago
    Schoolteacher Cheating
    Web link Don Stacy
    Schools are where kids learn to cheat. I was astounded when, as a brand new teaching assistant in college, I discovered that some kids in class cheated (probably had a sheltered upbringing). I gave them zeros on their papers, along with a note on top in red: "YOU CHEATED!" Strangely, the kids in question became fans of mine, and straightened themselves out, at least as far as I could tell. Guess I was the first person who told them it was wrong.
    Paul 45 weeks 5 days ago Page Kevin M. Patten
    How about this one, Sam? "VOTE TO INCREASE PRAYER." That should solve all the problems. I actually don't mind the less statist anti-abortion posters, and even sympathize with them to an extent (e.g. "It's a baby, not a choice.") Some people understand effective advocacy: directly affect the mom's state of mind, and stop trying to get some bozo elected.
    Paul 45 weeks 5 days ago Page Kevin M. Patten
    "My vitriol stems from a very recent witnessing of how the largess of our society acts to this issue – both online and in the real world." I am having a difficult time understanding you. What does largess have to do with anything? Are we speaking the same language? Let's assume I thought circumcision was a bad thing, and hoped to slow it down a bit. First thing I would do is figure out how to influence people. Ah, there is a book for just that purpose: Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends & Influence People". Sold a gazillion copies, because it works. You won't find anything like the above tirade in that book. You won't find vitriol there. "nobody ever discusses circumcision or spanking" That's very true. They are too busy haranguing each other to have a discussion. I have tried a few times; it was laughable. Nobody wants to discuss things, because that implies tolerance for differences of opinion. I have gotten the impression that people who bring up these subjects are more interested in building themselves up by berating others, than they are in actually reducing the prevalence of the practices they (allegedly) object to. "Holier than thou," as they used to say in the old days.
    Jim Davies 45 weeks 5 days ago Page Kevin M. Patten
    Thunderbolt, can you give us a source for that view, that parental spanking produces violent children?   I'm thinking that the correlation might be rather weak. Recently I wrote about a well-known monster, whose father did not spare the rod. But he had three siblings, who did not become violent. His elder brother was a good-for-little petty thief and would-be blackmailer, but nothing worse; his two sisters lived normal, undistinguished lives. Yet they all had the same father.   True, Alois Jr had grandsons in New York, one of whom became an IRS enforcer. But it's a stretch.
    Glock27 45 weeks 6 days ago Page Kevin M. Patten
    Kevin: Whether a boy is circumcised or not I believe is a non-relevant point. Circumcision is more a point of freedom of choice by the parents. I am confused about your statement about "nobody talks about circumcision or spanking. Orange and apple here. I am beginning to believe the central issue is to have a clearly defined definition of aggression, violence, coercion, threat and etc. As I read, and not only your points but others as well I get the feeling people are hurling these words about without any honest definition of any of the words. I guess I also am guilty of this verbal crime. I know I am being kind of funky here, but it is an issue I wonder about when I read. Someone or some group of people will have to come up with clearly defined terms. Aggression and violence could be viewed as a person with an expression of aggression and violence on their face as they approach you. Does violence end at the tip of my nose or does it end somewhere else, like three feet away from me. Recently, in Texas, a "no knock warrant" was issued and a police officer was killed by the home owner. The cops never announced that they were police officers. Fortunately for the young man defending his pregnant girlfriend and their other child he took action to protect his family from a home invasion, and a grand jury did not find sufficient grounds to charge him with murder of a police officer which could have resulted in life in prison or the needle. He did get nailed for having pot plants and seeds. I am not sure but to me violence and aggression ended at the tip of the judges pen. Personally I believe the judge should be charged with depraved indifference and negligent homicide. I was circumcised at birth. It was tradition and also believed it was more healthy for the male child to prevent infections and etc. With nearly 70 years here I cannot put my finger on a point of my life wherein I felt any behavioral deviancy. It did make me physically different than those whom were not circumcised. The first time I ever observed an uncircumcised male I was rather shocked. I thought, "What's wrong with him! Well. Now I know better and it does not make me feel any different about the individual and I certainly hope they do not see any difference with me. I was breast fed as an infant and I don't think it has made much of a difference in my life. Now these are merely personal reflections and no intention to reflect negatively about what you have shared. All of us have some evil in us and some good. I guess fortunately more of us have more good than evil, but then again that is an issue that needs to be clearly defined. Where do we start Kevin??
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 45 weeks 6 days ago
    A Foul Smell
    Page Mark Davis
    PS: The Latin verb that Augustine uses in Book 4, Chapter 4 of City of God is "infestare." I think it is soooo appropriate. After all, what is that infests the world and causes more damage if not government?
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 45 weeks 6 days ago
    A Foul Smell
    Page Mark Davis
    Mark, thanks for this article. That quotation of Augustine is my favorite of virtually everything he wrote. I am currently reading Butler Shaffer's book, Boundaries of Order, and he defines the peace-making role of boundaries, which is too often ignored. He points out that well understood and well-defined boundaries are a peacemaking mechanism. And more and more, I think that that is their primary role--especially because, as you pointed out, there is scarcity among physical goods. Only one person can ultimately have control over the use of any one physical object, and that is the purpose of the concept called property and of well-understood boundaries. Thanks, L
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 45 weeks 6 days ago
    The Meaning of War
    Blog entry Jim Davies
    Good post. The only think I might add to it is that there should be room under this listing for people to inscribe their names if they favor war. Anyone who speaks in favor of it must sign such a statement and show it to all of his children and relatives---and to the people at his church! They may all pile on in favor, but at least they couldn't pretend afterward that they never were for it, as so many Bush-leaguers did as the first decade of the new millennium grew long in the tooth.
    Glock27 45 weeks 6 days ago Page Kevin M. Patten
    Wow! Circumcision. When will we get to see Strike-the-Root play bunnies?
    Glock27 45 weeks 6 days ago Page Kevin M. Patten
    Sam. Were you aware that the Boy in the White House revised the "Posse Comitatus" act and signed it in January making it totally legal to utilize the military as a police force, an executive order no less, and the Constitution clearly states that only Congress can make and pass laws" not that this is right, but that it is a continuing interest story in mans search for freedom.
    Samarami 45 weeks 6 days ago Page Kevin M. Patten
    As I said, Kevin, the message here is this: FREEDOM DOES NOT WORK Now, we at STR know better. I think. We understand that without central political authority there will still need to be individuals and organizations arise among us who can and will act upon serious crime -- sex predation, child molestation, the whole shmear. Many will want to jump right back into collectivism -- fearful that the free market simply cannot produce freedom. Since none of us has actually experienced the absence of central political authority, we can only surmise how all that will play out (and we do a lot of that here at STR). Actually, I suggest you read this (pdf) "...but with the court sentencing many depraved and sick individuals, forcing them to be with others, and have been for many decades, I am unsure how this institution could be called libertarian in even the slightest way..." Your key word here is "...the court sentencing..." Courts are not libertarian. AA is. You need to check the link I provided. I also recommend all who read this watch the documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-_xPU3KC5E But as you do, understand that AA has no leader(s) who are vested with the authority to check your credentials when you step in the door. That's what is libertarian about it. You are a member if you say you are a member. If you assault or threaten people, a couple big bruisers will perhaps lock onto each of your elbows and escort you out. Or somebody will probably call the cops. But "AA" won't, and can't. Ms Richardson maintains throughout her "documentary" a classic collectivist mentality. She is good at the "freedom-will-not-work" message. She blames the bad things individuals are capable of on AA. And none of us got to AA because we were "nice" folks. I had my first AA exposure in Huntsville, Texas, behind the big, big wall. I was not a very nice man (or so a host of Texas policemen and "judges" had diagnosed). In freedom (the absence of central political authority) men will still be men, women will still be women. Crusaders will abound. Bad things will take place. I will still need to defend myself. Attending an AA meeting won't change that. It can help me stop drinking alcohol, and if I get sober I might change my behavior for the better. I'm not beating the drums for AA here. I've actually drifted away from the meetings since I started back trucking. But don't blame it for psychopathic judges' co-opting of the one free institution on the street. Sam
  • Kevin M. Patten's picture
    Kevin M. Patten 45 weeks 6 days ago Page Kevin M. Patten
    what does libertarian literature say about cults? of course people are free to be brainwashed, but with the court sentencing many depraved and sick individuals, forcing them to be with others, and have been for many decades, I am unsure how this institution could be called libertarian in even the slightest way. but yes this is off the topic of circumcision
    Samarami 45 weeks 6 days ago Page Kevin M. Patten
    Kevin: "...I’m writing a report about Alcoholics Anonymous, taking notes from one Ms. Monica Richardson’s activism. She reports a great many stories of women getting prayed on, with the courts sentencing not only addicts put also rapists and pedos. Great place to express your anonymity, no?..." What's the message here, folks? It's this: FREEDOM DOES NOT WORK And that is exactly the message you are intended to receive. It is exactly the message Monica Richardson's documentary "The 13th Step" portrays. It starts right out with the lament: "AA is not staffed with trained professionals..." Well, Duh! AA is not allied with any organization that might employ "...trained professionals..." It is probably the most libertarian assembly you know of. The psychopaths who operate "courts" have every bit as much "right" to order people to Catholic Catechism or Baptist Sunday School as they do to AA meetings -- except for the fact the churches have "trained leaders" who would balk. And that, my friends, boggles the minds of collectivists. A totally free fellowship with no leaders or rulers having any power to manage or control -- with one purpose and one purpose only: to stay sober and help other alcoholics achieve sobriety. AA has no leaders to resist those robed lunatics' defilement. As a result, many members and chairpersons dutifully sign the court papers -- I wouldn't (and would always argue against it at business meetings). Anything predators of state cannot regulate, they will co-opt. Alcoholics Anonymous is a classic example. They detest and fear the idea of anything -- anything -- being free. Our primary defense is to abstain from beans and to encourage others to so abstain. Mind you, internet "regulation" is in the offing. Just like AA has been defiled by "court ordered inmates", the web is being infiltrated by collectivists who gravely influence Google, Yahoo and the many other "engines" that can direct you and me to (and away from) various web pages and sources of information. The white man has introduced and will introduce "legislation" requiring various prerequisites to the posting of essays and/or opinions. Off topic of circumcision, I know. But important -- and Kevin was sincere in his essay and his response to comments. Sam
    Samarami 45 weeks 6 days ago Page Kevin M. Patten
    I'm a strong fan of your MYOB crusade, Paul ("crusade" in jest, I hope you know). In fact, those who practice MYOB needn't crusade for NAP -- it's included with the product. The crusade to end the "right" of parents to circumcise (including the use of the M word to describe it) is closely akin to the crusade to stop the "right" of moms to abort fetuses. The only difference is age of offspring -- and virulence of campaign. Right now the lifers seem to be ahead of the choicers in anti-abortion billboard drives. I'm struck by a road sign I pass regularly (I'm a trucker): "PRAY AND VOTE TO END ABORTION" There is always the argument: if you believe in prayer, why vote? And if you believe in voting, why pray? Seems some root-strikers need to follow my mutilation (pun intended) of the old u.s. marine adage: pray, vote, or get outa my face. Sam
    Jim Davies 45 weeks 6 days ago
    New Schiff Appeal Memo
    Blog entry Jim Davies
    I'm not normally wrong, but may have been yesterday, about this; I said that a sales tax would "necessarily charge everyone an equal, flat rate". That's not quite true.   In many European countries the governments impose a sales tax (actually a VAT, because it's much harder to avoid) unevenly. They apply a zero rate to basics like foodstuffs, and higher rates on goods that are desirable but not essential, then punitive rates like 25% on things that make live really worth living. So while it's much rougher than a finely-tuned tax on earnings, it does punish the rich more than the poor, and so Irwin's argument (that the latter would arise in protest to prevent a sales tax being implemented at rates high enough to yield as much revenue as the i-tax) probably isn't valid.
    Jim Davies 45 weeks 6 days ago Page Kevin M. Patten
    Thank you, Brian. And first, apologies for my second question; it was silly. Any parent would be far more upset about the fact of their son's resentment at what was done to him, than by the size of a surgeon's bill.   I'm first astonished that the C-rate was and is so high. I'd read the fractions upside down. In the 1960s an 85% majority of boy babies got cut? - wow. I checked "Prevalence" in Wiki and it seems that's so. Interesting trivium: "In the United Kingdom, prevalence was roughly 25% in the 1940s, but declined dramatically after the National Health Service  (NHS) did not cover the costs of the procedure." So: government health care may have a virtue, after all.   Your restoration link suggests to me that it's a bit iffy. Stretching and taping... or surgery that may or may not work. I was thinking that a series of skin grafts from elsewhere on the body might do the job, but they don't get a mention. Is there a doctor in the house?   A last question: given the large numbers of adults involved, does anyone know the extent of the indignation? I've not been aware of marches on Washington, angry buzzes on the Net, etc.  Even on STR, I think Kevin's article was the first to bring the subject front and center.
  • Kevin M. Patten's picture
    Kevin M. Patten 45 weeks 6 days ago Page Kevin M. Patten
    Thanks everyone for weighing in positively. To address Paul specifically. First, I have absolutely NO intention to shame other men, or to give any one an “inferiority complex.” I am saying that from my own experience, being a 28 year old male, one who has had wonderful relationships and never had a single complaint from any of my girlfriends, it is specifically regarding both the culture and the reaction I have seen in the last few weeks, this whenever I bring the issue up. Notice how circumcision always seems to bring out the schizophrenia in people. One example is highlighted in the article, but there are a couple more. IE: This is an unusually sexualized society, one in which depraved jokes are the norm, and which body organs are readily discussed and laughed at. Not for everyone, but especially with people in my generation. But then: “Fifty percent of the penis skin? FIVE TIMES MORE LIKELY FOR ED?!” Suddenly they turn cold. The interest wanes dramatically. In none of my other social investigations have I encountered a reaction this visceral, except for racism and rape. But if it’s so benign, so much like a dental procedure, why would this reaction be seen at all? So, I’m worried about the causality of aggression in our society, as well as the reason why so many mothers have a hard time breastfeeding and bonding. The La Leche League Foundation has been screaming about this for 30 years. This single action has no greater repercussions in society? No ripple has been created? Let it be said: I HAVE never and WILL never go up to any parent and interrogate them about their kids. I have no interest in doing anything so obscene. This anymore than looking at badly-gone circumcisions, just to fuel some internal hated. My vitriol stems from a very recent witnessing of how the largess of our society acts to this issue – both online and in the real world. From my own personal concerns; why was ever an aggressor, and so sensitive to emotional pain, and why I didn’t breastfeed well? People who insist theyre absolutely okay, I truly wonder – because people nobody ever discusses circumcision or spanking. But here’s one more hypocritical anecdote that can usually be found: Exactly what Sam said. Your MYOB campaign. So, I’m writing a report about Alcoholics Anonymous, taking notes from one Ms. Monica Richardson’s activism. She reports a great many stories of women getting prayed on, with the courts sentencing not only addicts put also rapists and pedos. Great place to express your anonymity, no? And yet no would ever tell me that the desire to reduce sexual assaults is somehow immoral, or not worth it, or that “I cant save them all.” This is ultimately why I didn’t feel the Vietnam was a horrible example. A great deal of the New Left – protesters, students, teachers – had never been to Vietnam. They only felt the repercussions of damaged men who came back home, and were violent, and addicted. That population – and Im n not comparing their numbers – were what was experienced at home. Its not so dissimilar if you accept the premise that Male Genital Mutilation has possibly created some aggressive tendencies in our society. Serial Killers? Rapists? I have no idea. Human behavior is hard to pinpoint, but we have so much data of pain causing psychological disruptions, as well as a lack of empathy.  It truly against culture of ignorance, and the people who dont submit to reason, evidence, and empathy. Give a pinch of all, and nobody would ever inflict this on their baby boys again. Again: Thanks everyone. Sorry if I'm a bit verbose.  Cheers!
  • zygodactyl's picture
    zygodactyl 46 weeks 5 hours ago Page Kevin M. Patten
    I am among the 85% of boys born in the '60's who were circumcised. I remember as a little boy looking down and wondering why my skin in that area looked so different in color, and why it looked scarred. It wasn't until my first visit to the locker room in Junior High school that I learned what an uncut penis looked like. I had never even heard the word _circumcision_ until that time. Practically every boy had been cut, a a few weren't. Nobody in my school made fun of uncircumcised boys. I agree with you Jim that circumcising baby boys is an act of unmitigated aggression! How dare parents and doctors cut and remove skin from a boys penis which reduces his future sensual intensity during sex! Yes, the foreskin can be restored. http://www.askmen.com/dating/dzimmer_60/62_love_answers.html Brian
    Jim Davies 46 weeks 6 hours ago
    The Meaning of War
    Blog entry Jim Davies
    August, 1973.
    Alex R. Knight III 46 weeks 6 hours ago
    The Meaning of War
    Blog entry Jim Davies
    Jim, for we hard copy CLF owners, what issue was this in?  :-)
  • Thunderbolt's picture
    Thunderbolt 46 weeks 7 hours ago Page Kevin M. Patten
    Kevin: This is a serious issue. I have wondered about the long range implications of genital mutilation at the time of birth. Certainly children who suffered from spanking have indeed been correlated with extreme tendencies toward aggression, especially toward their own children. It is, I think, very likely that you are right on target about the psychological impact of circumcision. "Spare the rod, and spoil the child" is a religious doctrine that has produced monsters, some of whom have started wars.
    Jim Davies 46 weeks 8 hours ago Page Kevin M. Patten
    The key thing is that to circumcize a baby boy is an act of unmitigated aggression, and so is ipso facto unlibertarian; the infant has no defense. There are horrid things done to baby girls as well, which are arguably even worse.   Is the mutilation surgically reversible? - and if so, who pays?   Presumably, in a free society the parents would be obliged to pay, if the grown boy demands it. Hence, an inter-generational dispute. Fear of that should act as a strong deterrent for parents against having the knife wielded in the first place.
    Paul 46 weeks 10 hours ago Page Kevin M. Patten
    "Females defending the practice also acquire a psychosis in order to do so." Keep in mind that when you point a finger, you have three other fingers pointing back at you. In my lifetime I have seen circumcision go from a simple aesthetic or religious choice that nobody made a fuss about, to child mutilation and torture equivalent to total extermination. Maybe a little moderation is called for? Are you trying to give an inferiority complex to boys who happen to be circumcised? I always wonder about people who get wrapped up in crusades. They never know when to stop. They don't even perceive that their lack of balance can only discredit their message, which might actually be one worth hearing, and would be better heard if not accompanied by flecks of spittle. Otherwise, here's a thought: mind your own business.
    Paul 46 weeks 11 hours ago
    The Rules
    One good thing about having so many rules, is that there are always plenty to break or ignore. Something most people don't seem to realize, is that one chooses (or not) to obey a rule.
    Jim Davies 46 weeks 11 hours ago
    New Schiff Appeal Memo
    Blog entry Jim Davies
    Irwin has pointed out something I'd never noticed before. If by some means the alleged income tax were scrapped, we can expect the Feds to replace it with a national sales tax or VAT - for, of course, revenue must not be reduced. But Irwin said this will not work.   Why not? - because with the "progressive" i-tax, only about half the population pays it. The other half supposes it's getting something for nothing, courtesy of "the rich."   But the s-tax alternative would necessarily charge everyone an equal, flat rate. So today's tax-feeders would suddenly find themselves paying a large sales tax instead of zip, and would arise in voting indignation and throw it out.   I still think the FedGov would find a way to sustain revenue (for as long as it exists, of course) with other taxes, but Schiff makes a valid point. The i-tax is that important.
  • zygodactyl's picture
    zygodactyl 46 weeks 1 day ago Page Kevin M. Patten
    I agree with you Kevin. On top of that, I think that Americans should stop training their children to be ashamed of their bodies! Probably only the Middle-eastern countries are as uptight about public nudity as Americans are. Uncut nude people look exactly like they are supposed to look like. I think these things came about due to this countrys' Purinterannical (My invented word: Puritan + tyrannical) past, but nowhere in the bible does it say that man must wear clothes. Brian
    Glock27 46 weeks 1 day ago Web link Bradley Keyes
    Notice also that the Boy in the White House revamped the "Posse Comitatus" act and signed it in January. This is in preperation for military forces to be used in law enforcement activities, also Anthony Scallia of the Supreme Court made it clear that the Posse Comitatus act will be used again when giving a speech to some students. Little bits and pieces add up to a strange future coming to the U.S. and I fear that any form of discussion of other forms of governent can begin to fill the FEMA camps which have already been established.
  • bjgilger's picture
    bjgilger 46 weeks 1 day ago Web link Bradley Keyes
    Notice that George H. W. Bush coordinated the political destruction of Pike and the ensuing dis-info campaign. Politicians seek only power.
    Suverans2 46 weeks 2 days ago
    The Rules
    One point I will take exception to, Paul Hein: "[YOUR] Rulers assume that you are on their team, and subject to their rules, which they have drawn up, and frequently modify", until such time as you secede, i.e. withdraw from membership, and waive all member-only benefits; from that moment on they can never rightfully "assume that you are on their team" ever again.
    Suverans2 46 weeks 2 days ago
    The Rules
    EXCELLENT essay Paul Hein!! Consensus facit legem. Consent makes the law. A contract is a law between the parties, which can acquire force only by consent. (Source: Maxim of Law – Bouvier's 1856 Law Dictionary, page 1638; Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition (c.1990), page 305) I DO NOT CONSENT to be a member of ANY of your man-made political associations and I waive all member-only benefits. I am, therefore, a Free[1] Man, subject only to the Supreme Law of the Land, the Law of Nature[2]. Both principal and agent are deemed to have notice of whatever either has notice of and ought, in good faith and the exercise of ordinary care and diligence, to communicate to the other. ____________________________________ [1] Free. Not subject to legal constraint of another. ~ Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition (c.1990), page 663 Subject to. Liable...answerable for. (Source: Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition, page 1425) Liable. Bound or obliged in law or equity; responsible; chargeable; answerable; compellable ro make satisfaction, compensation, or restitution. Homan v. Employers Reinsurance Corporation, 345 Mo. 650, 136 S.W.2d 289, 298. Obligated; accountable for or chargeable with. Condition of being bound to respond because a wrong has occurred. Condition out of which a legal liability might arise. Pacific Fire Ins. Co. v. Murdoch Cotton Co., 193 Ark. 327, 99 S.W.2d 233, 235. Justly or legally responsible or answerable. (Source: Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition, page 915) [2] "The law of nature is superior in obligation to any other. It is binding in all countries and at all times. No human laws are valid if opposed to this, and all which are binding derive their authority either directly or indirectly from it." ~ Institutes of American Law by John Bouvier, 1851, Part I, Title II, No. 9
  • Thunderbolt's picture
    Thunderbolt 46 weeks 2 days ago
    The Rules
    Dr. Hein: What a wonderful essay! I propose a law that requires that it be read aloud to every classroom, at every level, in public schools in every state, every year.
    Jim Davies 46 weeks 2 days ago Page Jim Davies
    Well said, spooky2th. The difference between Fascism and Communism is much smaller than Hitler saw in 1923, for his attention was on national vs. international. Once they're implemented, it mostly amounts to how the state controls industry; the former just regulated and milked (as currently in the US and elsewhere) while the latter took title to big firms and operated them directly. Neither showed any respect for the individual, save as a pawn to use, control and tax.   You're right too about religion, which bores much deeper into the mind than either. I was interested to read that Adolph never questioned his (at least nominal) Roman Catholicism, up to the time he wrote Mein Kampf; in his case I don't think it went very deep, but when it does go deep it is makes it all the harder to redirect people to rational thought.  And it's a natural ally to government. Due respect to ReverendDraco, of course.
    Glock27 46 weeks 2 days ago Page Jim Davies
    Note: These are the web sights for free downloads of the Back side of history should anyone have an interest in checking it out. I do not know how well it plays with the overall theme of STR but it is certainly a backward view of the history received in the public education system. http://waak.us/sites/default/files/Backside_Of_American_History.pdf http://waak.us/sites/default/files/Backside_Of_American_History2.pdf
    Glock27 46 weeks 2 days ago Page Jim Davies
    Should there be any interest, I downloaded "Backside of American History" by Ed Wallace and edited by Angie Richardson. This is an intriguing bit of history from the reverse of what is commonly taught. I also noted recently on the internet wherein the Boy in the White House as of 1 January 2014 has re-written and signed into law a new "Posse Comitatus Act". My question is where does this leave us now. Talk about politicians being Nazis!!!
    Glock27 46 weeks 2 days ago Page Steve
    Double post
    Glock27 46 weeks 2 days ago Page Steve
    Paul--I fully agree with your assessment, however, my experiances have demonstrated that we all act more out of an emotional foundation more than we do otherwise. At our core we tend to be more emotional than anything else. Just look at this site alone to see that; even if intelligence is attempted to be applied, emotion still circles it wagons as the core function.
    Glock27 46 weeks 2 days ago Page Jim Davies
    I only wish this could have been more penetrating--making more parallel exposure. I purchased the text to read, but this outline presents such horrifying truth that maintains the hidden agenda. The collapse of the German government is scary when knowing the streets overflowed with panic, chaos, riot, murder, robbery, worthless money, people starving to death. I hear so much about the collapse of the U.S. government that I have to wonder what will sustain it from falling into total chaos as the German government did. Yes. I recognize the difference in the cause, but it does not eliminate the reality of the possibility of the same thing happening here. Once it happens will not a new government reform as it has in Germany and the plan continue on into infinity. It seems as if it is an infinite trap that will simply cycle itself over and over and over again. I the glass half full or half empty. Neither it is just the wrong glass.
  • spooky2th's picture
    spooky2th 46 weeks 3 days ago Page Jim Davies
    We have a layer of fascism and communism as well as religion controlling the human farm.