How to Get a Job
    Page Paul Bonneau
    Question No. 6. -- Mr. Gutier: "Are you employed?" Mr. Cooper's answer: No, I am not. I am not employed. I am not unemployed. I am not self-employed. I am not gainfully employed. In fact, I am not employable. But, I work. Besides, Arizona is a right to work State. [Mr. Gutier nodded his head in agreement and went on.] ~ Excerpted from Standard Screening Questions
    How to Get a Job
    Page Paul Bonneau
    Very constructive advice, Paul Bonneau. Because I am outside the system and have had no affiliation with any governments, (hence no numbers, ID's, or licenses of any kind), for well over ten years, I have had to work myself into the "underground economy". For those who may eventually withdraw from membership in man-made governments, i.e. secede, it has been easier than what I first envisioned; (I originally thought I might not be able to survive as a non-member). And, as Paul Bonneau stated, "reputation" has played, perhaps, the most important part in it; (word-of-mouth is still the best advertising). I am paid in cash, usually on a daily basis, sometimes weekly. One fellow, who I did work for, for a short period of time, insisted on writing a check, made out to an assumed name, arranged for his bank to cash it without any "acceptable identification"; (he "introduced" me to the bank employees). To say the least, it has been an interesting journey. Oh, and to KenK, the collectivist troll, I have provided 100% of the "family nut" for well over ten years; my wife has not been a "wage-slave" since we left "the system".
  • mikehauncho's picture
    mikehauncho 2 years 50 weeks ago
    How to Get a Job
    Page Paul Bonneau
    I believe he didn't state it because it has no bearing on the advice he gave.
    Glen Allport 2 years 50 weeks ago
    How to Get a Job
    Page Paul Bonneau
    Paul, this is excellent! The mind-set of people in this country MUST change if we're to see any improvement, and mind-set CAN be the difference between getting a job and languishing in the unemployment line. The independent mind-set that helps one create an honest income also helps one see the truth of the State -- although its not a one-to-one correlation, unfortunately. Finding out what problems an employer has and just walking in and offering to solve them, showing the employer how you could actually improve their business or eliminate a problem they're having to deal with, is a far better way of gaining employment than searching the want ads or Craigslist, I suspect.
    Paul 2 years 50 weeks ago
    Homeschooling Is Easy!
    Page Paul Bonneau
    One of the ladies on the list pointed me at my 2004 email entry (sorry, members only so I can't post it). But my recollection of it is essentially correct, although I had forgotten how emphatically some of them said that homeschooling was easier. But anyone should be able to reproduce this experiment. Just ask the same question on your homeschool list. If you do, it might be a good idea to remove from your sample anyone with some kids in school and some homeschooled, because if you have even one child in school your life is back on the government school schedule, you still have to interact with teachers and educrats, etc.
    KenK 2 years 50 weeks ago
    How to Get a Job
    Page Paul Bonneau
    Paul you left unstated how much of your family's monthly nut you provide with your "off the grid" efforts and how much your wage slave wife kicks in. None of my business of course but it's a major consideration about how valid the rest of your advice is. Being a libertarian philosopher is probably way easier when you're with a partner who is regularly employed.
    Paul 2 years 50 weeks ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    Great article, Alex. More down-to-earth examples are what we need, and less theoretical reasoning.
  • JoshuaPettigrew's picture
    JoshuaPettigrew 2 years 50 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    This may be yet another example of why historians must have a grasp of economic theory in order to do this sort of analysis: http://blog.mises.org/18371/murphy-replies-to-david-graeber-on-menger-an...
  • mikehauncho's picture
    mikehauncho 2 years 50 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    Brilliant article, I have my fingers crossed for Social Security to fail before i get out of university.
    Suverans2 2 years 50 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    SH*T!! The PTB don't want to "track prepaid debit cards", they want to track those who use them. The "real losers", at least from our point of view, may be Individual Secessionists, people without the "mark of the beast", i.e. those who don't possess, or use, any gubbermint "tracking number", i.e. those who don't possess, or use a Taxpayer Identification Number (U.S.). The WALMART MoneyCard website already states this at the bottom of their home page: "Federal law requires us to obtain, verify and record information that identifies you when you open up a Walmart MoneyCard. We will use your name, address, date of birth and other information (including Social Security Number for U.S. citizens) for this purpose." And, the UPside Card this: "The USA PATRIOT Act is a Federal law that requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens an account. You will be asked to provide your name, address, date of birth, and other information that will allow us to identify you. You may also be asked to provide documentation as proof of identification. Card issuance is contingent upon successfully passing this mandatory identification confirmation."
    Suverans2 2 years 50 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
  • Evan's picture
    Evan 2 years 50 weeks ago Page Paul Bonneau
    And don't forget zenarchism.
  • Evan's picture
    Evan 2 years 51 weeks ago Page Paul Bonneau
    You can add eco-agorism to the list. :P www.kogwaki.com
  • Evan's picture
    Evan 2 years 51 weeks ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    I'd be interested in seeing this Slate article, being loosely affiliated with Free Staters and Keeniacs myself. Got a link?
    Suverans2 2 years 51 weeks ago Page Alex R. Knight III
    [Libertarianism] "...is the only philosophy I have found that operates in accordance with human nature, and not in opposition to it." ~ Alex R. Knight III Which kind of "libertarianism", Alex R. Knight III? Perhaps you didn't see Samarami's list on his recent comment here. http://www.strike-the-root.com/not-enough-enemies-let%E2%80%99s-create-more
    Suverans2 2 years 51 weeks ago Web link Michael Kleen
    "That needs to be looked into by the STATE POLICE and others." ~ Alex Jones You want the fox that guards the hen house to look into it, Alex?
    Suverans2 2 years 51 weeks ago Web link Michael Kleen
    Anyone else catch this? “Are you [Michael Allison] going to disappear into the Illinois prisons at taxpayers expense because you dare audio and video tape our owners?” ~ Alex Jones
  • david_z's picture
    david_z 2 years 51 weeks ago Page Paul Bonneau
    I really was hoping that piece at Mises was a joke. Unfortunately, no. Then again, there are plenty of raving left-anarchists on the 'net with precisely the opposite position. Mention anything even remotely "propertarian" (even mutualism) at reddit/r/anarchism, for example, and prepare to get downvoted in to oblivion. I really hope that all of this "The world isn't big enough for more than one ideology/social experiment" is a symptom of the state, and in its absence would wither.
  • livemike's picture
    livemike 2 years 51 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    So the state is running auctions so badly that people are buying back their properties for less than they're worth without any worries that someone will come along and buy it first? And the debt on these properties is so high that nobody buys them a month before for the value of their tax debt? Wow, the state gets more incompetent every day.
    Samarami 2 years 51 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    If the truth were known (and the truth, when it comes to imperial machinations, is never known), all the items she outlines were in the planning stage awaiting a "911" event to bring them into fruition. I tend not to be a "conspiracy theorist" (I submit ALL government organizations are ALWAYS ongoing conspiracies -- especially including the weird maneuverings and gigantic expenditures required to present to the serfs those bread-and-circus affairs called "elections" to maintain the illusion of legitimacy of state); but I have difficulty believing that a phenomenon that so greatly benefited agents of state were not brought about BY agents of state in one way or another. The highest detention rate on earth (indeed, in the HISTORY of the earth) is a byproduct of empire building. Sam
    Samarami 2 years 51 weeks ago Page Paul Bonneau
    Paul, when I first came on the web (I'm a late bloomer -- only 5 or 6 years internet experience) I discovered Strike The Root and some other libertarian/anarchist forums. I began to compile a list of descriptors I had come across -- labels for varying schools of thought. I'll see if it will paste here: Various Libertarian and Anarchist Labels • Agorism • Anarchism • Anarcho-Capitalism (Mises/Rothbard) • Anarcho-communism • Anarcho-syndicalism • Anti-Positivism • Apriorism • Carsonian mutualism • Classical Liberalism • Collectivist anarchist • Communism • Consequentialism • Eco-Libertarianism • Eco-Socialist-Libertarian • Establishment liberal left • Explicitly anarchist, pro-decentralist libertarians (Kinsella) • Geoanarchism • Geoism • Geolibertarianism • Georgism • Green-Libertarianism • Individualist anarchism • Individualist/collectivist anarchist Individualist/collectivist anarchism • Left Libertarianism • Left-Rothbardians • Legal Positivism • Liberal socialism • Liberalism • Libertarian Populism (James Ostrowski) • Libertarian Socialism • Libertarianism • Localism and decentralization • Logical Positivism • Market anarchism • Minarchism • Modal Libertarianism • Modern Liberalism • Moral consequentialism • Mutualism • Natural-rights libertarianism • Neo-liberalism • Neolibertarianism • Objectivism • Panarchism • Plumbline Libertarianism • Polycentrism • Praxeology • Primitivist Anarchism • Progressive Libertarianism • Punkish/syndicalist/queer radical social anarchism (above two from Rad Geek site) • Queer anarchism (“sex workers?”) • Radical minarchists • Right Libertarianism • Rothbardian strain of market anarchism • Schmodal Libertarianism • Social Darwinian right-wing economics • Socialism • Socialist-Libertarianism • Syndicalist Anarchism • Utilitarianism (Friedman’s strain of Anarcho-capitalism) • Utopian socialism • Voluntarism And that's only a partial list that I tried to scratch down whenever I came across somebody using a term (often to lambast "the competition" I guess). You are absolutely correct: Humans sure are funny animals Sam
  • Debbie's picture
    Debbie 2 years 51 weeks ago
    Homeschooling Is Easy!
    Page Paul Bonneau
    I've been telling people for years that homeschooling is easy. It's only hard when parents try to force the learning, instead of working with the child's interests. Kind of like pushing to open a door when it says to pull. ;) As an offshoot to a free book I wrote about our early homeschooling experiences (which was intended to help homeschoolers relax and have more fun), I have been collecting interviews from homeschooling parents answering 4 simple questions and putting them on a blog. I have about 96 interviews up now and it's interesting to see how parents make homeschooling work for their individual families. Here's the link: http://homeschoolingisfreedom.blogspot.com/ Oh and I'm always looking for more, so Paul maybe you can tell your Oregon friends about it too.
    Suverans2 2 years 51 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    "You mean, the police LIED?" Were their lips moving?
  • golefevre's picture
    golefevre 2 years 51 weeks ago
    Homeschooling Is Easy!
    Page Paul Bonneau
    Really good stuff, Paul. I don't know that homeschooling is the best option, but I suspect it is by far better than government schooling when done in a disciplined manner. I would just add that there is still a place for learning from the masters and ideally that would be under the guidance of a parent paying for the tutelage. From a purely economic point of view, what parents pay for (for coerced "education") compared to what they get is laughable if it weren't so destructive to the moral and cognitive abilities of our children altered by government schooling. An option like what Mr. Ludlow is proposing is very appealing indeed. Thanks for your efforts and support out here in the parenting minefield.
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 2 years 51 weeks ago
    Homeschooling Is Easy!
    Page Paul Bonneau
    Good possibility, Paul, but about what in particular and in what way. It was a bit incoherent from my perspective.
    Paul 2 years 51 weeks ago Web link Michael Dunn
    That will work until the next CIA-backed coup.
    Paul 2 years 51 weeks ago
    Homeschooling Is Easy!
    Page Paul Bonneau
    I think he was being sarcastic. :-)
    Glen Allport 2 years 51 weeks ago
    Homeschooling Is Easy!
    Page Paul Bonneau
    This is terrific, Paul, and really good news as well. I'm sending it to a mom I know in the midwest who is currently spending good money sending her kids to a decent private school -- don't know if this will change her mind, but I am certain that with more and more people not working (thus, home to provide homeschooling) and with budgets ever-more cramped, homeschooling is due for an upswing. Hearing that it probably is LESS difficult than dealing with traditional schooling (not to mention how much better it is for the kids) is bound to make that transition more likely for many.
  • livefreeretiree's picture
    livefreeretiree 2 years 51 weeks ago Page livefreeretiree
    Thanks for the motivation to start posting here, Lawrence. It is a sad fact that we live in a world of compartmentalized intellectuals... especially when this often leads people to start taking their word on authority even in fields outside their known specialty. Einstein's knowledge of nuclear physics did little to grant him a proper understanding of the mechanics of a prosperous human civilization. There truly are a very few people who have accurate conceptions of the whole picture and how it all links together, from the smallest fragments of matter to the biggest galactic motions and everything in between, human nature included. When I raise my kids, you can be sure I will be giving them a well-rounded and accurate education about reality from day one. Thanks for commenting.
  • livefreeretiree's picture
    livefreeretiree 2 years 51 weeks ago Page livefreeretiree
    Right on, Mark. I was using "society" in a very loose sense, as obviously it is not a tangible thing, only a shared conception among separate individuals interacting together. The most visible aspects of society come from those in power through their coercive efforts, which are unfortunately often sanctioned by the opinions of the majority. Most people at this time still feel there ought to be enforced regulatory education for children so that they will have to learn the "important" ideas about life and function accordingly. When "society" starts thinking otherwise, the minions of the state will have little power to continue to brainwash our children. Glad you like it though, education is definitely where my passion lies.
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 2 years 51 weeks ago
    Homeschooling Is Easy!
    Page Paul Bonneau
    Hi, livemike: Could you translate that? I really don't know what you are trying to communicate?
    Mark Davis 2 years 51 weeks ago Page livefreeretiree
    This is an excellent article, Mr. Diehl, describing the state schooling system and its damaging effects. I do, however, have one nit to pick. You say: "The students are made to sacrifice a major part of the natural maturing process so that they will learn the subjects deemed appropriate by society and their teachers." It is representatives of the state, not society, that determine what subjects students must learn. Conflating society with the state’s minions is part of what we are schooled to do; and must recognize in order to overcome.
  • morristhewise's picture
    morristhewise 2 years 51 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Most Libyans have become unmanageable and are no longer wanted in a peaceful oil producing nation. Without government support they will relocate to Algeria,Egypt,Tunisia, and Niger. The sooner the better.
  • livemike's picture
    livemike 2 years 51 weeks ago
    Homeschooling Is Easy!
    Page Paul Bonneau
    You mean conveying knowledge to an individual organism or small group of organisms that's evolved over millions of years to acquire knowledge and over at least hundreds of thousands of years to be taught by an older member of it's species in small groups is easy? Just like any basic understanding of the evolutionary history of mankind would say it was? Gee who'd thunk it? Well anyone who doesn't listen to The Official Story (TM).
    Jesus Christ, Pirate
    Web link Michael Dunn
    This may seem off topic, but it seems an appropriate place, in my opinion, to point out some interesting things. First, Christ, is not Jesus'[sic] last name. Second, he was not Jesus[sic] Christ of Nazareth, he was Jesus[sic], the Christ, Nazarite, i.e. the anointed nazarite. And, what is a Nazarite? H5139 נזר נזיר nâzı̂yr nâzir naw-zeer', naw-zeer' From H5144; separate, that is, consecrated (as prince, a Nazarite; hence (figuratively from the latter) an unpruned vine (like an unshorn Nazirite) ~ Hebrew and Chaldee Dictionary The italicized, blue words in the above definition are the closest English synonyms Dr. James Strong could find for the word Naziyr/ Nazarite, i.e. separate, prince, unpruned For we have found this man [Saul, of Tarsus] a pestilent fellow, and a mover of sedition among all the Jews throughout the world, and a ringleader of the sect of the NazaritesG3480 ... G3480 Ναζωραῖος Nazōraios Thayer Definition: Nazarite = “one separated” ~ Thayer's Greek/English Lexicon of the New Testament Yahushua [JESUS] was, arguably, the first "individual secessionist", teaching "individual secession". "If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you."
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 2 years 51 weeks ago
    Homeschooling Is Easy!
    Page Paul Bonneau
    Thanks, Paul. I'll have to insert a few words into that sentence in the future to keep it strictly accurate. It guess it should read: “For many busy parents, home-schooling is not 'supposed to be' an option – despite the extraordinary success of home-schooled children. Many parents do not 'think they' have the time, skills, and resources needed by their children to flourish.”
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 2 years 51 weeks ago Page livefreeretiree
    Vahram: Excellent first article! Although full of many good insights, in particular, I enjoyed the following observation: "Ultimately, the passive learners become highly refined specialists on one particular sliver of reality, while largely ignoring the rest of existence and passing off all other knowledge as someone else's field and responsibility; nothing is integrated with past knowledge and the student excels only at regurgitating and applying professionally the same conclusions that were presented to him during his schooling." The impact of this over-specialized form of thinking/living is evident in so many negative ways in our culture. As a result of this sliver-specialization, we have few well-rounded generalists who can "put it all together." That's why you have so many brilliant businesspeople, inventors, and writers who parrot the statist status quo. After achieving success in a tiny realm, they still hold onto the ridiculous political pablum of submission and dominance and violence -- despite their other achievements. So when interviewed about anything outside their narrow field of interest, they can be counted on to parrot the usual nostrums of trust in authority, etc., and the rest of the sheeple nod their heads -- reassured that yet another "expert" has judged that the current political obscenity is indeed the best of all possible worlds. Thanks for posting!
  • AlephT's picture
    AlephT 2 years 51 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    The war on terror hasn't been very well liked, and the CIA's extraordinary rendition program hasn't helped matters. According to the Guardian, it has proven rewarding for certain United States businesses. A case names some businesses that contracted to transport terror suspects to torture centers. See it here: CIA extraordinary rendition aid linked to private US companies.
  • Guest's picture
    annacrasto (not verified) 2 years 51 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    i just took a insurance plan from a reputed health insurance agents, i feel like i am secured to a certain extent.
    Suverans2 2 years 51 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    "The mayor of Filettino [Luca Sallari] has loftier aspirations: He wants his town in the hills east of Rome — population 598 — to become an independent state under a monarch." ~ Luca Sallari, the current mayor of Filettino Gee, I wonder who the first "monarch" would be? “It’s everyone’s dream to be a prince.” ~ Luca Sallari And, who, exactly, would be a "prince", "in a state under a monarch"? MONARCHY, n. [Gr. See Monarch.] 1. A state or government in which the supreme power is lodged in the hands of a single person. ~ Webster's 1828 American Dictionary of the English Language PRINCE, n. prins. [L. princeps.] 1. In a general sense, a sovereign; the chief and independent ruler of a nation or state. Thus when we speak of the princes of Europe, we include emperors and kings. (Ibid.)
    Samarami 2 years 51 weeks ago Page Paul Hein
    Paul, you posted this a few days ago and I'm just getting around to commenting. Nice piece! Few call into question statements such as, "Texas supports Arizona's immigration laws...". I don't support any redneck goons a thousand miles east of me ramming egregious police state edicts through supposed "representatives" and having them signed by some little lady who might just should be home with her family. No sir ree Bob. You were able to show how by legerdemain this kind of fallacy becomes nationalistic buffoonery. Sam
    Samarami 2 years 51 weeks ago Page Westernerd
    Roach: "...I just don't think that all human actions boils down to economics,..." All human actions may not boil down to economics, but Mises seemed to believe all economics boiled down to Human Action: http://mises.org/Books/humanaction.pdf You make some good points, Roach -- especially in regard to your Gr. I perhaps need to peruse Robert Taylor's piece more thoroughly to uncover the innuendo you apparently think I overlooked. JULIET: 'Tis but thy name that is my enemy; Thou art thyself, though not a Montague. What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot, Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part Belonging to a man. O, be some other name! What's in a name? that which we call a rose By any other name would smell as sweet; So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd, Retain that dear perfection which he owes Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name, And for that name which is no part of thee Take all myself. From Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, 1600: (I once heard Shakespeare wrote this as a snide joke about the Rose Theater -- competitor to his Globe theater -- which is rumored to have had certain odoriferous characteristics due to poor 17th century attempts at "inside plumbing"). But whether we're debating "capitalism" or "Gr", the odor probably does not change that much. The idea of a free voluntary exchange of goods and services unfettered by parasites of state still beats anything I've ever studied regarding economics. Some dare call it "capitalism". Sam
    Suverans2 2 years 51 weeks ago Page Westernerd
    "what this article, and other works like it, is attempting with the term "capitalism" (a term that the vast majority of the world's population has associated with the current economic system for at least a hundred years) is essentially the same, and will negatively effect growing ideas about actual free-market thought." This holds true for all variations of the word "anarch", ("The author of confusion; one who excites revolt."[1]) also. _______________________________________________________________________________ [1] Webster's 1828 American Dictionary of the English Language
  • chris.baden's picture
    chris.baden 2 years 51 weeks ago
    Be Free
    Page Mark Davis
    Great article Mark!
    Paul 2 years 51 weeks ago Page R. K. Blacksher
    The visitors from another planet would conclude we all have a taste for farce, for the absurd.
    Paul 2 years 51 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    There's no cure for stupid. "A fool and his money are soon parted."
    Paul 2 years 51 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    Now THESE are the people who ought to end up hanging from lamp posts.
    rita 2 years 51 weeks ago Web link Jad Davis
    It gets worse -- a large percentage of people who use pain meds containing Tylenol do NOT do so under medical supervision. More and more doctors, physician's assistants and nurse practicioners have set themselves up as the keepers of our souls and refuse to prescribe effective pain relief for patients who have a "history" or a "potential" for "drug abuse" -- which isn't even a medical term but a political one. Predictably, this has given rise to a thriving black market in pain meds, the most common of which are Vicodin and Percoset, another medicine laced with poison. Drug warriors are evil incarnate, but at least their motives are clear. What's not clear is why the medical profession has allowed itself to become the state's executioners.
  • roach's picture
    roach 2 years 51 weeks ago Page Westernerd
    with respect, this article that i am responding to, the one that you have exclaimed is "nice work", is indeed "arguing about the meaning of a word". the article itself is arguing over the meaning of capitalism. so is the "nice work" that you have complimented also supporting the "marxist global agenda"? or is it only when i challenge your half of the cold war dialectic that i am? if you are interested in "stepping outside the dialectic", then maybe you should ponder the idea that economics is not as simple as a marxist/capitalist dialectic. many of marx's "ideas" were taken from proudhon's work anyway, and proudhon attempted to create a mutual credit banking system. mutualism, the original anarchism. i do not believe that the free market is inherently bad or some other rubbish. i just don't think that all human actions boils down to economics, and if that's true, then not everything should be considered as capital, nor held account to the market. nor do i think that capitalism is a synonym for free-market. it has a historical meaning which is far different. you live in society, and that means you have to interact with other beings, and in doing so you have to use viable mediums. capital is one such medium, sometimes useful, sometimes not. language is another one, sometimes useful, sometimes not. i can call my car my "gr" all i want, and my friends will eventually get my meaning, but most people will just think i'm dyslexic or slightly off, and will generally ignore what i say when i'm referring to my "gr". what this article, and other works like it, is attempting with the term "capitalism" (a term that the vast majority of the world's population has associated with the current economic system for at least a hundred years) is essentially the same, and will negatively effect growing ideas about actual free-market thought.
  • roach's picture
    roach 2 years 51 weeks ago Page Westernerd
    edited ^comment meant as a reply. apologies