Suverans2 3 years 39 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    "...while possession of small amounts of marijuana isn't a criminal offense, "publicly displaying" marijuana is. During stop and frisks, when police ask suspects to empty their pockets, the marijuana becomes visible. That allows for arrest for "public display"..." Someone should advise those agents to also strip search the suspects and then they could charge them for "public indecency", as well. More revenue that way.
    Paul 3 years 39 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    Kinda hard to have much sympathy for the kind of people who would just stand there and watch state thugs kidnap their children.
    Paul 3 years 39 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    CSI is great propaganda for the government. As to reality, your chances of finding justice in the criminal "Justice System" are pretty slim. This has interesting implications in the arrest phase...
    KenK 3 years 39 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    I doubt if this would be possible in the US but it is an inspiring example of participatory democracy.
    KenK 3 years 39 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Not a bad article but it needs more historical analysis.
    KenK 3 years 39 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Screw Glenn Greenwald.
    Suverans2 3 years 39 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    “when a murderer is hanged, there is only one person at the ceremony who is not guilty of murder.” ~ George Orwell It is nearly impossible, for me, to imagine a more ridiculous statement! But, then, it is about what I'd expect from someone who reportedly wrote to Cyril Connolly from Barcelona on 8 June 1937 stating: "I have seen wonderful things and at last really believe in Socialism, which I never did before".
    Samarami 3 years 39 weeks ago Page Westernerd
    "...Today the dialectic is active in every political issue that encourages taking sides. We can see it in environmentalists instigating conflicts against private property owners, in democrats against republicans, in greens against libertarians, in communists against socialists, in neo-cons against traditional conservatives, in community activists against individuals, in pro-choice versus pro-life, in Christians against Muslims, in isolationists versus interventionists, in peace activists against war hawks. No matter what the issue, the invisible dialectic aims to control both the conflict and the resolution of differences, and leads everyone involved into a new cycle of conflicts..." http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/05/dialectic.htm
    Samarami 3 years 39 weeks ago Page Westernerd
    Nice work, Robert. A month or so ago I became mesmerized by a piece I read by Delmar England. http://www.anarchism.net/anarchism_insanityasthesocialnorm.htm It is long, and it took extensive sorting through questionable grammar and sentence structure and punctuation, etc.; but once I made the effort the message became clear, as is yours. Here's a quote: "...Will of God, will of the people, public welfare, constitutional rights, natural rights, national interest, ought, should, gross national product, for the good of the country, the values of society, minority rights, morally right, immoral, race relations, community standards, freedom and democracy, altruism, selflessness, government does, majority rule, freedoms, fighting evil, on and on and on unto infinity. "... This is but a partial list of concepts commonly accepted and frequently uttered. This is the vernacular of oppression with which our senses are inundated without let up from birth unto death..." I think it was Stefan Molyneux who said on one of his videos: "...Enforcement of statism does not come from (agents of) the state. Enforcement comes from fellow slaves. And that is the genius of (agents of) the state..." And even Stefan with his knowledge, I believe, fell victim to "reification" (to regard or treat an abstraction or idea as if it had concrete or material existence), which Delmar England insists keeps most of us in oppression. Thus I've inserted "agents of" the state, since states do not exist except in abstraction. Sam Sam
    View to a Kill
    Web link Michael Kleen
  • mkghandi's picture
    mkghandi 3 years 39 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    None of them are going to do any remedial learning in business or economics. They are selling their influence to the highest bidder. It is not visible to the average Joe because the media puts a curtain around it. These people don't need to know anything about business or economics. Their sponsors--the people who buy their influence know all anybody needs to know about economics and business and politics too. Congress gets plenty of 'help' in making economic and foreign policy. MKG
    Glen Allport 3 years 39 weeks ago Page Glen Allport
    I second that, Suverans2. And I'll add that my response to Paul's last comment should have included an acknowledgment of his idea that "how the message is presented is important" and that people basically don't want to hear about their own emotional damage. (My response was, I fear, a bit snarky and defensive). So I agree with Paul's pont, and at the same time I think it's important for more people to understand that unlove and other trauma to children HURTS them, and that THAT is a major reason why the world is in such a mess and that liberty is hard to find and erodes back into tyranny every time. Knowledge (in this case of the cause of neurosis and other psychopathology, and of their role in tyranny) is a critically-important tool for improvement, AND, at the same time, many (most?) people shy away from the topic, because it is inherently painful. This argues, again, for multiple approaches from multiple people who understand the paradigm but explain it in their own way; when enough discussions on the topic of liberty AND compassion are taking place, when enough people hear the phrase "the Doctrine of Love and Freedom" and have been exposed to at least some of the framework by different writers and speakers -- some of whom "click" for them even if others don't -- then we'll be on our way to improvement.
    Glen Allport 3 years 39 weeks ago
    New Money
    Web link Michael Dunn
    It isn't just that Wall Street and other connected people and entities get the money first (and thus can spend it before this inflation of the money supply is reflected in price inflation) -- the main problem is that those feeding on the ocean of new fiat dollars would have to be doing something truly productive -- something that citizens would pay for voluntarily -- if all this new cash wasn't being created and then spent or given away BY GOVERMENT. Almost the entire military-industrial complex would vanish -- we'd have a real defense, not a bizarre globe-spanning aggressive empire-style military presence and a weapons budget higher than the GDP of many nations. The whole inflated bureacratic tyranny we now endure is only possible because the Fed creates, and the government spends, money far beyond what even our crippling tax load could support.
    Let's Get It Over With
    Ya gotta love that "sincere and abject" apology!!!
  • newjerusalemtimes's picture
    newjerusalemtimes 3 years 39 weeks ago Page Glen Allport
    Nice one, Glen Allport articles at S-T-R are my favorites! Peace be with you all, Christian Livingstone
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 3 years 39 weeks ago Page Glen Allport
    Thanks again, Glen.
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 3 years 39 weeks ago Page Lawrence M. Ludlow
    Hi, Debbie. Please stop by our table; we'd love to visit with you! Hail, Libertopia!
    Let's Get It Over With
    Actually, Paul Hein, the one they call Jesus 'reportedly' said, at Mark 9:40, "For he that is not against us is on our part [side]," and at Luke 9:50 "Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us". And, for those of us who wish only to be left alone, i.e. not forcefully imposed upon, this is just fine. "The collectivists are eternal enemies of all religions, because they recognize that if people have a religious faith they have a loyalty to something other than the STATE, and collectivists do not like that, the STATE must be all. The state must be religion, the people must literally worship the state as their salvation, and some of the earlier writers, on this topic, have even said so in plain English, that collectivism must become the new religion of man." ~ G. Edward Griffin _____________________________________________________________________________________ "Consistent with this reasoning, out of more than 1,500 distinct cultures throughout the world documented in The Encyclopedia of World Cultures, only 19 contain any reference to atheism. Not only do these 19 cultures exist far outside of our ancestral home in the African savanna, but all 19 of them without an exception are former Communist societies. There are no non-former-Communist cultures described in The Encyclopedia as containing any significant segment of atheists." ~ Satoshi Kanazawa
  • Debbie's picture
    Debbie 3 years 39 weeks ago Page Lawrence M. Ludlow
    Laurence, I'll be at Libertopia speaking on unschooling. I'm looking forward to learning more about this new venture. It sounds great!
    Glen Allport 3 years 39 weeks ago Page Westernerd
    Nice column, Mr. Taylor! People have been systematically mislead about the nature of capitalism -- and many other important things. Saying the truth, getting the facts out there for people to see and consider, is terribly important. I particularly liked this: ". . . most examples that critics of capitalism cite as excesses and abuses are not the results of market forces, but government intervention . . ." Excellent point! Nearly every bad thing people complain and worry about "the market" doing is actually done -- directly and indirectly -- by government. Corporatism, for instance, is just corporations making use of government coercion for their own benefit. Most of today's "regulation" is exactly that -- corporatism -- rather than anything that protects consumers or the environment. Very often, this "regulation" is directly harmful to consumers or to the environment.
  • Peter McCandless's picture
    Peter McCandless 3 years 39 weeks ago
    Let's Get It Over With
    Paul, your "apology" has half the sincerity but twice the humor of what could be found on a typical episode of Monty Python.
  • Michael Kleen's picture
    Michael Kleen 3 years 39 weeks ago Web link Don Stacy
    Why on earth would conservative, big business forces want to "hijack the concept of anarchism"?
  • jd-in-georgia's picture
    jd-in-georgia 3 years 39 weeks ago
    Let's Get It Over With
    For any politician to make a comment on a "hatred of God" is most hypocritcal. The difference between a politician and God is that God does not believe himself to be a politician.
  • Gwardion's picture
    Gwardion 3 years 39 weeks ago Web link Don Stacy
    Probably one of the worst articles on anarchism or anarcho-capitalism that I have ever read. It was so riddled with assumptions, inaccuracies and just flat out crap, that the only thing i can use it for is an examination into the mind of an "anarchist" who doesn't understand that voluntary market exchange is the basis of anarchy. I think the guy that wrote this article needs to read the STR article put up today about the Orwellian altering of the meaning of words to displace proper political debates.
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 3 years 39 weeks ago Page Lawrence M. Ludlow
    Thanks, golefvre. Those mind- and spirit-numbing camps are so dismal. As a school-age kid, I only had one teacher that made a connection -- and not for the reason she would have thought. She seemed to actually view us a real people.
  • golefevre's picture
    golefevre 3 years 39 weeks ago Page Lawrence M. Ludlow
    Time to abolish compulsory schooling too! Impressive ideas Lawrence. I wish you all much success with this endeavor!
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 3 years 39 weeks ago Page Lawrence M. Ludlow
    We're trying to "break the cycle" of statism with this approach. It fits in with Glen Allport's "Doctrine of Love and Freedom" scenario. With this approach, we're hoping for fewer "broken" children. It's time to connect the dots...
    Iraq's New Death Squad
    Web link Jad Davis
    And, who are the "bad guys"? Anyone who disagrees, resists or opposes, them or their master(s); "They are just like us". "Accusations of human rights abuses, killings and politically motivated arrests have surfaced, including assaults on a university president and arrests of opposition politicians."
    Suverans2 3 years 40 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    They called that shut down off, partly because Anonymous hacked into BART's system. By the way, we finally have a photo of some of the members of Anonymous.
    Natural Law
    Web link Don Stacy
    ...the natural law is fundamental to human existence... ~ C.S. Lewis According to Clive, it is the "deep magic" that everyone knows.
    rita 3 years 40 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    Yawn. Johnson didn't invent anything -- the public's so-called "right to safety" has been used for years as an excuse for the systematic annihilation of both 2nd and 4th Amendment "rights." It's not a right if someone can take it away.
  • jd-in-georgia's picture
    jd-in-georgia 3 years 40 weeks ago
    Inferno, Part II of II
    Page tzo
    Tzo, As usual, your words do not promote emotion or reaction. They only promote ideas and thinking. Outstanding.
    Samarami 3 years 40 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    Thanks, Co Op. I remember once I bartered 2 pk K ration smokes in a Korean village for a much needed Ernie Pyle hat that the supply chiefs simply couldn't get, or so they said. I was freezing my ears off (not to mention my butt) in that miserable place**, and the mama-sans saved my bacon. Best .40 I ever spent (I think a carton of smokes at the PX was around a buck -- that would be a silver buck, of course -- at the time, but I gave all my ration stamps away). Sam ** IT was not a miserable place, I should correct that. US infiltration was miserable in what was a gentle, friendly village of farm folks trying to stay out of the line of fire. I had no business being there intruding upon their way of life; and, although a draftee, I would have found a way NOT to be there had I known what I know today. Sam
    Samarami 3 years 40 weeks ago
    Ron Quixote
    Page Mark Davis
    Mark: Thanks for posting this link over at HaleBobb. Although you wrote it 4 1/2 years ago, it is perhaps more poignant today at the outset of the 2012 dog and pony show as it was in 2007. I must have been "off the air" at the time. Sam
  • cooperativesingularity's picture
    cooperativesing... 3 years 40 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    In WW2 a single pack of cigarettes was used for the purposes of barter. It changed hands many times with it's final purchase being a home. This seems to indicate the extremely addictive nature of tobacco as it relates to human nature.
    Mark Davis 3 years 40 weeks ago
    Inferno, Part II of II
    Page tzo
    This is a classic tzo. Well done!
    Samarami 3 years 40 weeks ago
    Inferno, Part II of II
    Page tzo
    Tzo: This is belated, but I've been "off the air" for a time. Your essay, particularly part II, is the best I've read. Hands down. You've put lucidity into what I've wanted to say, have tried to say, have rather clumsily said not a few times. The idea that I am not "required" to "be a citizen" -- to lend my name to the crimes of an egregious beast -- is freeing once comprehended. I'm gratified to know I do not need to emigrate away from those I love -- my family, my colleagues, my friends -- to be free. I have no need to migrate to, say Costa Rica (Inferno in the making??), nor to petition agents of state (ambassadors, consulates) for "official" permission to leave or arrive anywhere. I can declare myself a sovereign state. I can be free. Sam
    Suverans2 3 years 40 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    KenK, there was no mention of "constitutional arguments" in that story. And, to maintain continuity of thought, you should have, in my opinion, written, "A "right" you can't exercise without being rousted isn't a right". Unfortunately, it would still have been just as untrue a statement, however; just because the bully-in-the-schoolyard is capable of taking your lunch money, does not mean that you do not have a "just claim" to it, i.e. a "right" to it. ________________________________________________________________________________________ roust ...2 informal treat roughly; harass : the detectives who had rousted him the night of the murder ~ Oxford Dictionaries
    rita 3 years 40 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    In a free society, certainly in a sane one, ALL drugs would be treated the same as any other commodity. Unlike most illegal drugs, tobacco really is addictive and harmful, but for decades the tobacco industry has helped to underwrite a massive campaign of false advertising against other drugs (check out the anti-meth posters at your local post office or police department), and now THEY'RE whining about THEIR freedom? They don't want THEIR relationships with THEIR customers invaded by the state? How perfect. Welcome to my world, Mr. Marlboro Man, the world YOU helped create.
    KenK 3 years 40 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    Amazing. It's stories like this that have persuaded me that constitutional arguments are just water treading. Sooner or later you'll get tired and sink. We have the same problem in my area with open carry. Certain sheriffs and police chiefs just don't like it even though they admit it's legal and so you get rousted for it no matter what. A "right" you can't exercise without permission isn't a right.
    tzo 3 years 40 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    Maybe cigarettes as they are currently manufactured are dangerous, but maybe smoking pure tobacco is mostly harmless. http:// en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_additives_in_cigarettes (remove space in address line above)
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 3 years 40 weeks ago Web link Michael Dunn
    Suverans2: Thanks for pointing out the absurdity of KenK, the troll.
    Suverans2 3 years 40 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    And, the human beings responsible would be held accountable for adding man-made toxic chemicals, which cause harm, to their tobacco. They could not hide behind "corporation" veils.
    Suverans2 3 years 40 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    G'day rita, You may already know this, but in case you don't, you can click on the "edit" below your post and make corrections.
    Suverans2 3 years 40 weeks ago Web link Michael Dunn
    "He...comes across to most people as a kook whenever he opens his yap..." ~ KenK Your slip is showing, KenK. Spoken like a true collectivist. Just sayin'.
    Suverans2 3 years 40 weeks ago Page Glen Allport
    Thumb in the air for Paul.
    rita 3 years 40 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    Yeah, I know, I misspelled "government." I do that when I think faster than I type.
    rita 3 years 40 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    "It's incumbent upon the officer to make contact" -- and whether the contact turns into detainment depends on the circumstances encountered by the officer. It's been my observation that the people most likely to be "detained" for resisting arrest are the ones who have broken no law. Gee, I wonder why the governemt is broke.
    Suverans2 3 years 40 weeks ago Web link Michael Dunn
    G'day Sam, Words of wisdom, my friend.
    Glen Allport 3 years 40 weeks ago Page Glen Allport
    This is an excellent bit of commentary, Paul. I believe I understand your position and certainly respect it (because it respects others, and is both intelligent and well-intentioned). I have a very unusual perspective -- meaning only that I don't know many people who share it -- and THAT, along with issues of wording, are mostly what we're talking about, in terms of differences between our views. On people being damaged: they are, that's the simple truth, and I say that plainly. I don't conceal this from them. You, Paul, are damaged. So am I. If it's easier to hear, the word "hurt" is just as accurate. People ARE hurt in early life -- if there are any exceptions to this, I don't think I have met them -- and no, for the most part, I don't think people are going to get "fixed." I certainly don't think anyone is going to get fixed or cured by reading anything I might write, because "getting cured" involves deep feeling of whatever repressed experiences someone is carrying around. The number of people willing to do that, or who even know that such a thing might be possible, is close enough to zero as to make no difference in the world as a whole. On the off-chance that anyone reading this might be interested in the idea, check out anything by Dr. Arthur Janov, starting with 1970's The Primal Scream. Janov's blog (Google it; the STR spam filter blocks almost every URL I try to add) is worth reading and is a good, bite-size-at-a-time introduction to his ideas. The basics are this: Neurosis is the repression of feeling, and the remedy is to feel. Not to talk about feelings, or come up with insight about feelings, or change your behavior, but to actually FEEL those things that were too much to feel when they happened, long ago. As I said, the number of people on the same page is, basically, zero. What people CAN do, fairly easily, is change their behavior towards pregnant women, newborns, infants, and children. You don't have to get well to do THAT. You don't have to get well to support smaller government (or no government), either. If enough people begin to understand that both freedom AND compassion are important, then they'll change their behavior accordingly, to whatever extent feels right to them (which includes whatever extent their psychological defenses allow). THAT is how the world can change for the better, even without trying to fix (most of) what's wrong with the world now, and without expecting people to get "fixed" or "cured" when, in fact, almost none of them are even interested in trying to do that. So I agree completely, Paul: it really has to come from inside. That means, to me, that future generations must be treated better than ours has been -- if so, then THEIR "insides" will be healthier, and with any luck at all, that trend will continue. We can help kick-start the process; your writing and mine, and the freedom movement in general, can help put people today in touch with the real part of themselves -- the part that knows, despite the lifetime of propaganda and repression, that both love and freedom are what every human being needs, and are what the WORLD needs if we're ever to have something better than the global tyranny being planned for us.