• Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 3 years 10 weeks ago Page Lawrence M. Ludlow
    For those who thought I was too hard on Lew Rockwell and his acolytes in this article, here he is again (following his overriding interest) at the following link, praising empire and Catholicism when they are linked to Austria. There are 3 magic words at lewrockwell.com, and when they occur in close proximity, it becomes catnip to the Lewciferians: Catholic + Empire + Austria = Good as in this link: http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/91524.html Note how he gushes over the imperium when it touches upon a female empress to be, as he says himself in the post about the burial of the son of the Austrian Emperor, Otto von Habsburg: "His Body Interred in Austria, His Heart in Hungary...My favorite newspaper these days, the Daily Mail, has its usual stunning photos of the funerals of the great Catholic liberal Otto von Habsburg. Don't miss Otto as a boy, and if you want to know what a real queen-empress looks like, see his wife to be." While it is true that Hoppe has made a good case that private governments have a tendency to act more responsibly than democratic governments (Democracy: The God That Failed), this is yet another example of paleolibertarianism run amok. This is particularly sad because Lew does so much good, but then he paints a mustache on the Mona Lisa.
  • Lawrence M. Ludlow's picture
    Lawrence M. Ludlow 3 years 10 weeks ago Page Lawrence M. Ludlow
    For those who thought I was too hard on Lew Rockwell and his acolytes in this article. Here he is again at the following link, praising empire and Catholicism when they are linked to Austria. These are the 3 magic words of his sect at lewrockwell.com, and when they occur in close proximity, it becomes catnip to lew. Note how Lew drowns his brain in the holy water font in the following equation: Catholic + Empire + Austria = Good as in this link: http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/91524.html He clearly gushes over the imperium when it touches a female imperial parasite, as he says himself in the post about the burial of the son of the Austrian Emperor, Otto von Habsburg: "His Body Interred in Austria, His Heart in Hungary...My favorite newspaper these days, the Daily Mail, has its usual stunning photos of the funerals of the great Catholic liberal Otto von Habsburg. Don't miss Otto as a boy, and if you want to know what a real queen-empress looks like, see his wife to be." Can he gush any more fully over the empress? While it is true that Hoppe has made a good case that private governments have a tendency to act more responsibly than democratic governments (Democracy: The God That Failed), this is yet another example of paleolibertarianism run amok.
    Where's My Contract?
    Page Paul Bonneau
    G'day tzo, Touché! Your parallels are apropos, my friend, regardless of the fact that they may be a bit "overboard". So, now that we know that there is no "lawful" contract, that we have been "tricked" into it, what do we do about it? Do we succumb to the fear of "coercion", (though I perceive that greed, i.e. the fear of the loss of material wealth, is greatest coercive force for many, if not most, of us), and just sit around complaining to each other? Or, do we stand up for what is right, and "pledge...our lives, fortunes, and sacred honour" to the great and honorable fight for freedom? "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom..." ~ Samuel Adams
    rita 3 years 10 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    Cops breaking the laws they enforce against the people? What a surprise.
    tzo 3 years 10 weeks ago
    Where's My Contract?
    Page Paul Bonneau
    Suverans2, When coercion is used, it is difficult to accept that there is an implicit contract based on the behavior and actions of the coerced. If the threatened party elects to interact with the thug because he believes he will be better off than by not, then this is merely self-interest, and is action taken under duress. To claim that a government has some ethical claim to being a valid party to a contract because it successfully threatens or tricks people to interact with it just can't process in my brain. Every armed robbery in history where the victim acquiesced peacefully was legal because there was no objection, thereby creating tacit consent which made the "interaction" a contract? Every fraud and theft is legal because the unaware victim fails to object as the event is occurring, which creates a valid contract based on tacit consent? I'm sure I went overboard with my parallels in the previous paragraph, but I'll need you to point out how they fail in comparison to "contracting with government."
    Where's My Contract?
    Page Paul Bonneau
    G'day tzo, Express and implied. An express contract is an actual agreement of the parties, the terms of which are openly uttered or declared at the time of making it, being stated in distinct and explicit language, either orally or in writing. An implied contract is one not created or evidenced by the explicit agreement of the parties, but inferred by the law, as a matter of reason and justice from their acts or conduct, the circumstances surrounding the transaction making it a reasonable, or even a necessary, assumption that a contract existed between them by tacit understanding. ~ Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition (c.1991), page 323 ________________________________________________________________________________ TAC'IT, a. [L. tacitus, from taceo, to be silent, that is, to stop, or to close. See Tack.] Silent; implied, but not expressed. Tacit consent is consent by silence, or not interposing an objection. So we say, a tacit agreement or covenant of men to live under a particular government, when no objection or opposition is made... ~ Webster's 1828 American Dictionary of the English Language Unfortunately, complaining to the other servants does not count as "objection or opposition".
    tzo 3 years 10 weeks ago
    Where's My Contract?
    Page Paul Bonneau
    Valid contracts imply "a meeting of the minds," where all parties are informed on all points. The old argument about signing away your rights because you said you were a citizen in order to get a social security card in order to get a drivers license in order to get a job just doesn't work. How many of you have done a one-click agreement online in order to make a purchase or join a website? What if it said in the seventh paragraph of stipulation number 437 that you hereby relinquish your first born child?
  • John deLaubenfels's picture
    John deLaubenfels 3 years 10 weeks ago
    Where's My Contract?
    Page Paul Bonneau
    Excellent column! The Higgs reference is probably my favorite from an author I much admire. This point needs to be driven home, "I do not consent!" "I did not sign that B***S*** contract!" I've got a domain, govNotLegit.com, that I need to flesh out. When I get time... I'll be sure to include a link to this column.
  • John deLaubenfels's picture
    John deLaubenfels 3 years 10 weeks ago
    Where's My Contract?
    Page Paul Bonneau
    I don't think so. The questions being asked in these cases are, "Do we classify you as a U.S. citizen" and "Do we classify you as a resident (not citizen) of the state of Wyoming". To reply truthfully is not to pledge any fealty whatever to any institution, legitimate (ha!) or otherwise.
    Where's My Contract?
    Page Paul Bonneau
    Just curious, Paul Bonneau, how many times have you checked the "yes" box, to either of the following two questions, and signed it? Are you a U.S. citizen? Are you a citizen of the State of Wyoming? If your answer is once, or more, (like I had), have you rebutted the presumption that that answer, or those answers, and signature created; the presumption that you have expressly consented to be a citizen, i.e. a subject, of a State government or, of the United States government?
    Discovering True Laws
    Page Bob Wallace
    Natural law is "a system of rules and principles for the guidance of human conduct which, independent of enacted law or of the systems peculiar to any one people,' [are] 'discovered by the rational intelligence of man, and' [are] 'found to grow out of and conform to his nature, meaning by that word his whole mental, moral, and physical constitution". ~ A Dictionary of the Law (Black’s 2ND c. 1910), pg. 804 "Nowadays, the study of natural law virtually has been banned from the training of lawyers. What remains of it in the academic curriculum of most law schools is no more than a little bit of 'intellectual history', which is devoted mainly to the works of a handful of ancient, medieval and early modern writers and philosophers. Often, students get the impression that natural law is something that can be found only in books (in the same way that statutory law, the verdicts of courts and international treaties are mere texts). They are led to believe that the natural law is nothing but a collection of theories of natural law. It is not. Nor, of course, is the physical universe nothing but a collection of theories of physics." "The natural law and the positive law are not alternative systems of rules that apply to the same thing. The natural law is the law of natural persons and positive law is a law of artificial persons." ~ Natural Law by Frank van Dun, Ph.D., Dr.Jur. - Senior lecturer Philosophy of Law.
  • Guest's picture
    crisJ (not verified) 3 years 11 weeks ago Web link Sharon Secor
    I'm not against the security check in airports since it's just only for our safety but doing security checks by the agents should be careful and gentle that the one being examined is not feeling being abused or assaulted because it's just normal for the public to react violently about these security checks when they are feel like being assaulted already. I remember the news about what happened last Saturday when a mother from TN was detained for objecting when TSA workers tried to pat down her daughter. The female allegedly became belligerent and was arrested for disorderly conduct. Recently, the TSA altered its policy on pat downs of children. This incident comes after that policy change. The proof is here: Woman arrested for scene when TSA attempt to pat down her daughter. I think if the TSA agents just explained the change in their policies with the woman and the woman just made a proper approach to the TSA agent, the situation would not come to the point of arresting her. This is the only thing that both parties must understand and consider.
  • Peter McCandless's picture
    Peter McCandless 3 years 11 weeks ago
    Woman Gropes TSA Agent
    Web link Melinda L. Secor
    Let's hope she has a trial by jury and the jury is smart enough to acquit her.
  • Paul the cab Driver's picture
    Paul the cab Driver 3 years 11 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Ms. Flowers states, "The idea that no one has the right to tell us how to live our lives (Legalize drugs! Ban motorcycle helmets! Don't ban violent videos! Keep your rosaries off my ovaries!) has led us to a place where caring about No. 1 has become a secular religion, and turned all of those who preach restraint into heretics." She is absolutely right! Libertarianism is the problem! Yes, that philosophy that teaches that you own yourself is evil and must be stomped out. The idea that people need to take control of their OWN lives and determine what they ingest, and where they live and what they do for work is BAD!!! It leads to baby killers who party while their child is missing! We need women like the brave, hyper-intelligent, clear thinking Ms.Flowers to guide our EVERY step, and mind our EVERY move. And to kill people who get out of line. She and her minions will lovingly and kindly direct every movement of all 300 million of us. Hey it will be tough work, but Flowers is cut out for just such a task. And think of all the child killers she will stop! We do need a catchy name for her utopia. How about: "Worker's paradise?"
    Samarami 3 years 11 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    It is for this type of detritus that I "divorced" and have not owned a television set for over 35 years: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * "...even if the justice system has denied her the official title of child killer. "As surely as O.J. Simpson plunged a knife into his ex-wife, Caylee Marie's mother guaranteed she wasn't going to see her 3rd birthday. The evidence, though circumstantial, was powerful. The fact that the jury failed to connect the logical dots is an indictment of our system..." * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * wkmac is absolutely correct: this gal is your classic media moron, claiming to "know" all the facts and information the jurors had at their disposal to conclude the prosecutor(s) had not proved their case within the framework of "law". The white man's "justice" system is bad enough as it is without nerds like Flowers. She reinforces my mantra: television, if I were to own one, would be an insult to what little intelligence I have left. Sam
    Samarami 3 years 11 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    "...President Felipe Calderon has deployed tens of thousands of troops to the streets to take on powerful drug traffickers shortly after taking office in late 2006. "Violence has spiraled since then, with more than 40,000 people killed across Mexico, hurting support for Calderon’s conservative National Action Party (PAN), which faces an uphill struggle to secure re-election next July. "Mexico is America’s top supplier of marijuana and most cocaine consumed in the United States passes through Mexico..." * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Tell me, friends. With the example of 40,000 people killed across the land area referred to as "Mexico", and Calderon's primary concern being how those deaths might affect his re-election chances, would it not appear rational for agents of state in this area (read: "U.S. of A") to stop this carnage, allow Walgreens and other "free" marketers to sell the products agents of state deign to prohibit their subjects from ingesting, and end the drug "war"? Never. If you haven't read "Insanity As The Social Norm" ( http://www.anarchism.net/anarchism_insanityasthesocialnorm.htm ) and you would really like to cut through the bullshit and understand WHY the white man has no intention of ending this or any other violence (his "wars" and his "swat" attacks against random citizens) or his "police state" stance, I urge you to set aside half a day and filter your way through it. Delmar England -- even though the essay needs some "trimming" in the way of grammar, syntax, punctuation, etc --will help you see clearly the fact that the drug "war" (like all his "wars") is religion to The Man. And religion equates to power -- throughout all human history. Just like priests understand that a certain percentage of the flock will always file obediently into their "services" as long as ritual and liturgy are upheld keeping "the church" strong and canonical; the white man understands there will always remain enough sheep who will "register" with him and docily promenade to "the polls". That keeps The Great White Father legitimatized and commanding. Drug Wars, Death Penalty, Wars against "terror" are absolutely essential in order to keep them cards and letters comin' in. Sam.
  • wkmac's picture
    wkmac 3 years 11 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Well the good news is that when Nancy Grace decides to hang it all up, there's another hysterical lawyer to take her place. But then I know so many of our friends, like my wife and I, became libertarians (geez should I tell her about anarchism?) just so we could change society in order to kill our kids on a regular basis. To hell with that Non-Aggression Axiom crap! Ms. Flowers, Bugs Bunny had you pegged. "What a maroon!" She shows an aversion to violent videos (I do too and that's why I don't play them) but I bet when it comes to the Warfare State, she's all over it. Support them heroes! Think she ever looks at the forces behind "Full Spectrum Warrior"? Or Lt. Colonel Hank Keirsey and Call of Duty? And she's upset at Casey for killing one kid? Maybe that should be "What a Hypocritical Maroon!"
    A Quest for Sanity
    Web link Michael Kleen
    "...far too many calling themselves "anarchists" are actually governmentalists deep down. They simply cannot imagine "society" not having to be refashioned into their brand of "anarchy" (with ME as the "leader", of course)." Amen! "I believe you can be sovereign also. But that's totally up to you. Not me." And, amen! The perfect excuse for not doing it, is to say it can't be done.
    A Quest for Sanity
    Web link Michael Kleen
    "Anarchism won’t happen in our lifetimes despite what any organization tells us that[sic] but that doesn’t mean it’ll never happen or that such a goal isn’t worthy of pursing." ~ Nick Ford If we define anarchism as the "no ruler doctrine", and we define ruler as "one that governs; one that makes or executes laws", I don't want anarchism for "everyone"; I don't want it for those who want a ruler; I do not want it for those who cannot, or will not, govern their own behavior according to the law of nature, so why can't it happen, in their lifetime, for those who do want it and who can, and will, govern their own behavior according to the natural law of man? As an individual secessionist, I say that it has already happened for me. I do not consent to be ruled by any man, or "man-made" laws, I am therefore without ruler. But this should not be construed to mean that I am without rules. I am not lawless. My law is the law of nature, the natural law of man. "The shallow consider liberty a release from all law, from every constraint. The wise see in it, on the contrary, the potent Law of Laws." ~ Walt Whitman This does not mean that you, or your master(s), will not use, or threaten to use, force to trespass upon my natural rights, it means that I will do all that is within my power to rationally resist such force. All things lawful are mine, but all things are not expedient: all things lawful are mine, but I will not [voluntarily consent[1] to] be brought under the power of any [man]. _________________________________________________________________________________ [1] Actus me invito factus, non est meus actus. An act done by me against my will, is not my act.
    Samarami 3 years 11 weeks ago
    A Quest for Sanity
    Web link Michael Kleen
    ...the root problem is in and of the mind and only this understanding will effect resolution. Alas, knowledge about the mind has been excluded as well by the false, mind-dominant, “sacred ideas” ie, mental inventions thought to be real. The failure to make a distinction between what is inside the mind and what is outside is often referred to as insanity. This is the past and current saturate condition. Unpopular as this notion may be, this mental malady is what has established and sustained the past and present philosophical, epistemological, psychological, death-oriented, anti-individual environment. The evidence is abundant and clear: Beliefs direct actions. Actions cause effects. If the effects are not as consciously intended, it is indisputable that the actions (means) are not suited to the purpose. It is just as indisputable that the beliefs directing the selecting and application of means are false. Isn’t this proven a trillion times over? Is there anything complex and hard to understand about this? If so, what? If not, why the perpetual rejection of this proof if not a mental malady?... (from "Insanity as the Social Norm" -- see above post for link) Sam
    Samarami 3 years 11 weeks ago
    A Quest for Sanity
    Web link Michael Kleen
    Anarchy will not only happen in MY lifetime, IT IS HERE. NOW. http://faculty.msb.edu/hasnasj/GTWebSite/Obvious.pdf Anarchy is not something that will be imposed upon others -- that's statism. I've come to use the term "governmentalism" instead in most cases, since "statism" is becoming trite and overused on these forums. I strongly urge any who want to anarchy clearly to also read an essay by Delmar England, "Insanity As The Social Norm": http://www.anarchism.net/anarchism_insanityasthesocialnorm.htm It's long (24 p M/S "Word" single spaced), could use some cleaning up in grammer, punctuation, syntax, etc. England's message is that far too many calling themselves "anarchists" are actually governmentalists deep down. They simply cannot imagine "society" not having to be refashioned into their brand of "anarchy" (with ME as the "leader", of course). I am a sovereign state. I believe you can be sovereign also. But that's totally up to you. Not me. Sam
    Suverans2 3 years 11 weeks ago Page tzo
    Now, perhaps, just perhaps, mind you, it wasn't that Dan [INOUE] couldn't answer Jan's [HELFELD] question, but rather that he wouldn't, because had he done so he would have given away the whole scam. Dan's first answer was, "Because the government has been authorized by the people". Now, that is true -- as far as it goes. But let me finish Dan's answer for him, (because he may not even know it). To be more precise, Jan, the government has been authorized by you, Jan, not to take your neighbor's stuff, but to take your stuff, Jan, just as every other member of the body politic has, by not "withdrawing from membership in [the] group[1]", authorized the government to take his or her own stuff, which, of course, each of us has the natural right to do. Let me ask you a question, Jan. Do you use a membership number, i.e. a Taxpayer Identification Number, to procure certain member-only benefits and privileges? Oh, you say you don't take any "member-only benefits and privileges", Jan? If that be true, then why on Earth would you voluntarily want to identify yourself as a TAXPAYER, Jan? Quit using that damned Taxpayer Identification Number! "Then they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and ran upon him with one accord..." ________________________________________________________________________________ [1] Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition (c.1991), definition for "Secession".
    Suverans2 3 years 11 weeks ago Page tzo
    G'day tzo, That YouTube exposing "Sen. Inoue's inconsistent logic" is, in my opinion, the perfect example of someone whose mantra is, "Don't confuse me with the facts, I've already made up my mind". From his responses in this interview, it is apparent, to me, that this man doesn't even have a clue what the verb "delegate" even means!! Keeping in mind here that this man is the acting "President pro tempore of the United States Senate", the second-highest-ranking official of the United States Senate, is it any wonder that certain of us here have chosen to withdraw from membership in the body politic? Sheesh!!
  • morristhewise's picture
    morristhewise 3 years 11 weeks ago
    Wealth Disparity
    Web link Michael Dunn
    Bernanke is my hero, he believes in a God that will pay the bills. Most of the stimulus money will wind up in the bedrooms of hookers, they own 85% of the nations wealth. Lets make the ladies happy,life is too short to worry about the future.
    Suverans2 3 years 11 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    G'day to you, Sam. Glad to see someone noticed, and appreciated, that correlation. ;)
    Samarami 3 years 11 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    Well, Suverans2, since politicians are parasites with big smiles and waving arms, you might just have a point! Sam
    Samarami 3 years 11 weeks ago Page tzo
    Nice work, Tzo. Government, like pregnancy, cannot be stopped at smallness. It will make little difference if "secession" has advances here and there. The state is the state. Not really -- the state is an abstraction. State agents are parasites and thieves and robbers; and whether they start down the street, over in Capitol City, or out in the District of Collectivism...er, Columbia, they will multiply themselves, engorge themselves with stolen money, and oppress if and when they get the opportunity. For our own good, of course. Most totalitarians in history have referred to themselves as "The People". The shapeless masses somehow feel they are playing a part -- that they have the power. The People's Republic of America. Once you and I declare ourselves sovereign we create a whole new way of looking at agents of state. Like thieves and robbers who slink in dark alleyways, state (city, county, federal, etc) actors will abscond with my valuables if I give them any support or encouragement at all. So I learn skills to avoid them where I can, reduce their pilferage when the thievery is unavoidable (and much of the time it is unavoidable -- but the sovereign individual can nip it in the bud). I never "register, file, voluntarily comply" with anything. I stay "judgement proof" to all extent practicable. And I have no illusions The-Policeman-Is-My-Friend. No sir ree, Bob. Sam Sam
  • golefevre's picture
    golefevre 3 years 11 weeks ago Page tzo
    Help! Help! I'm being repressed! Tom Woods is certainly no slouch. I speak to so many who look at him with doe-eyed admiration. It must be the nice ties he wears. I become completely incredulous about the future when others can listen to him and buy what he's selling. I suppose it was a natural progression that we'd get this kind of self-promoting cottage industry from people like Woods given the rise in popularity of politicians like Ron Paul. I don't begrudge Woods a living, but please listen very carefully to what this man is selling.
  • B.R. Merrick's picture
    B.R. Merrick 3 years 11 weeks ago Page tzo
    The essential difference between a minarchist and me is a helping verb: The minarchist says we CAN'T have anarchy. I say we WON'T have anarchy, because too many "peoples" refuse to check their premises or their helping verbs. Another terrific article.
  • wkmac's picture
    wkmac 3 years 11 weeks ago Page Glen Allport
    Thanks for the clarification Glen. Point taken. As for the part on Love, Gary Chartier at the Agora I/O conference gave a talk on Personal Style in Anarchist Activism (see YouTube) and he also took a few moments to address the action of love in what we are doing. I think you both hit on a point that needs discussion and is very timely. Tip of the hat to you for the foresight and courage to do so!
    Glen Allport 3 years 11 weeks ago Page Glen Allport
    My wife flagged that point also, but I stuck with "enforced" because that's exactly what has to happen and because nothing about the enforcement of non-aggression requires either the State or aggression. As the Wikipedia quote points out, "In contrast to pacifism, the non-aggression principle does not preclude violent self-defense." In fact most of the "enforcement" would be via contracts, mediation, the need to maintain one's reputation (for bonding in many cases and simply so that others would remain willing to do business with you) and so on but any stateless society will have security and protection firms and other tools to protect people against aggression and to repair the damage, compensate the victims, and otherwise deal with the aftermath when aggression DOES occur. This IS "enforcement" although it will clearly rely less on violence and on often useless and always costly incarceration (and never on aggression, as defined in the column) than the State's version. On your second point, you're quite right that advocating liberty is an expression of love for others (among other things) -- and I have long believed that the artificial and unhealthy rift between freedom and love in the public mind is a deal-breaker for the public at large, and for good reason. People rightly want love and compassion to BE a part of their world-view (well, any reasonably healthy person does) and any philosophy that does not directly address this will fail. Liberty will never prevail until the freedom movement consistently understands and describes liberty as a concept that requires a (non-political, non-State mandated, non-State-provided) widespread sense of connection and compassion to be viable. A society of neurotics and sociopaths will never be free for long.
  • wkmac's picture
    wkmac 3 years 11 weeks ago Page Glen Allport
    "if the non-aggression principle were being enforced" "Enforced" may have been an accidental poor choice of words considering the full context of the article. Regardless, still a very good article and enjoyed how freedom and liberty were connected to the concept of love. I think we in the hardcore-libertarian/anarchist ways of thinking should do more to ponder what we are doing and advocating it as much an action of love towards our fellow man as it is about freedom. Looking forward to the rest of this series!
    Suverans2 3 years 12 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    "...we may have parasites to thank for the existence of sex as we know it." If I am understanding this correctly, we have politicians to thank for the existence of sex as we know it???
    Samarami 3 years 12 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    "Taxpayer" funded "scientists" display in real life the ancient adage: "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance you must baffle 'em with bullshit." These blokes are no exception. Sam
    Samarami 3 years 12 weeks ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    Mark Davis 3 years 12 weeks ago Page Mark Davis
    dchadsey, good point. It is true that the local governments are getting near as bad as the Feds in being anti-liberty, especially when interferring between two people who have entered into a private contract for services like you describe. Treating hard working citizens like criminals becasue they don't have the official paperwork and tax stamps called licenses is a travesty of justice. Although the pole dancing suggestion was tongue-in-cheek, it may fit for some depending on personal attributes and skills. Thank you Samarami. I'm afraid the 1% estimate is about right, but hopefully growing. When the checks stop flowing from DC, that number will grow quickly.
    Suverans2 3 years 12 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    Freedom is the right to do whatever you want as long as it's lawful. Natural liberty, consists in the power of acting as one thinks fit, without any restraint or control, except from the laws of nature. It is a state of exemption from the control of others, and from positive laws and the institutions of social life. ~ Webster's 1828 American Dictionary of the English Language This liberty is abridged by submitting one's self to the dominion of a man-made government.
    Samarami 3 years 12 weeks ago Page Mark Davis
    “Fortune favors the prepared mind.” ~ Louis Pasteur Thanks, Mark, for this quote and for this superb essay -- a good outline of what we can surely expect. "...(A)n 'in' question instead of an 'about' question..." hits the nail squarely. It's so important to come to see .."if it's going to be, it's up to me".. Any attempt to try to change OTHERS will bring frustration and despair. What percentage of the adult population would you guess frequent sites such as STR? I mean, even if we eliminate what Suverans describes as the high percentage who care only about procuring the next six-pack and who read NO current events forums or news sites; of the remaining 30 or 40% or less I suspect less than 1% actively read STR, Rockwell, or other "libertarian" leaning sites. Whatever percentage it is has definitely improved in recent years thanks to the web and to the Harry Brown's and the Ron Paul's and the late "Tea Partiers" (now mostly DemoPublicans) and a few other high profile mini-statists -- but it is still miniscule. "...(T)he state is doomed to failure..." You and Thoreau are correct. Like you, I covertly cheer Dr Paul on mainly because I've met and like the man -- plus one son and daughter-in-law and grand-kids are movers & shakers in his "campaign". But, also like you, I see voting only as supporting the main enemy to mankind, the state; and I will not get involved in "registering" or voting. "...When enough of us are prepared, we will truly have a golden opportunity to have the best government of all: self-government..." Amen. Sam
    rita 3 years 12 weeks ago Web link Westernerd
    The editors of the Prescott (Arizona) Daily Courier once described freedom as "the right to do whatever you want as long as it's legal." That mentality is tragically common among Americans these days.
  • FMAnarchist's picture
    FMAnarchist 3 years 12 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    Am in agreement w/ all, evidently. Yes, continually re-stating the obvious then becomes the subconscious mantra for many. Myself included... so, should I recant? The piece was still "fluff". My reply was not specifically against Suverans2, but in defense of the low rating. It seems I was misunderstood, and this was taken personally. Absolutely *not* my intention. As far as this being my first response... I've been reading STR for *much* longer than I've been a member. Very nice of you to notice my "tenure".
  • dchadsey's picture
    dchadsey 3 years 12 weeks ago Page Mark Davis
    Last night I saw an episode of Police Women of Broward County on TV where they were doing a sting on "illegal contractors". Three armed police would bust in from an adjoining room once the "suspect" agreed to do minor remodeling without a permit. They were taking these guys down on the floor like armed robbers, then hauling them off to jail, handcuffed behind their backs. The Broward County government actually believes they are helping us. Financially it is all relative and the creative will survive. But now that such overwhelming powers have been assumed without a fight by local unconstitutional (no administrative branch) governments, we are all in jeopardy. Everyone pays attention to the national scene, but if you have tried to conduct any type of business lately without bowing down to the faceless bureaucracy of county government, you know the enemy is among us. Pole Dancing?
    Paul 3 years 12 weeks ago Page R. K. Blacksher
    R. K., you've hit the nail on the head.
    Paul 3 years 12 weeks ago Web link Michael Kleen
    She should move to Portland, Oregon. I know folks there who garden their front yard. That smug bastard in the business suit really needs a date with some hot tar and feathers.
    Paul 3 years 12 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    Yeah, although the article is a bit too minarchist for my taste, I think it is a good one. Mike is right, you can't state the obvious too much; particularly since it is done in an environment where statism is by far the dominant theme.
  • Mike Powers's picture
    Mike Powers 3 years 12 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    There are new seekers of liberty that may be reading Strike-the-Root for the first time. So, I don't think you can ever state the obvious enough. The concepts of individual liberty and personal freedom are not obvious to everyone.
    Suverans2 3 years 12 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    No need to apologize, FMAnarchist, you are certainly entitled to your own opinion. I do find it intriguing, however, that apparently my reply is the only thing you have found worthy of commenting on since joining STR over a year and half ago, particularly since a good many, if not a majority, of the articles here are "stating the obvious"; have been said "hundreds of times"; with "nothing new [brought] to the table"; and therefore, are, too, "nothing but...fluff" pieces.
  • FMAnarchist's picture
    FMAnarchist 3 years 12 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    Then I'll try to offset the 10 rating with my 4. Yes, what he says in the article is true, but nothing more than stating the obvious. Those of us that are aware enough to be liberty-minded (proven by even reading Strike the Root), this has all been said hundreds of times. The author brought nothing new to the table, and seemed more intent on the inner reflections than actions to be taken. While he's not wrong, this was nothing but a fluff piece. Sorry, that's my opinion.
    Suverans2 3 years 12 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    G'day golefevre, Am I to presume that you gave this a one-star-rating because you disagreed with that particular sentence? If so, isn't that a bit like throwing the baby out with the bathwater? As a result of the one-star-rating I was forced to give this article a ten-star-rating in effort to raise it to a more appropriate level, because much of, if not most of, what Tyler Durden had to say in this article made total sense, and is, therefore, well worth reading.
    Suverans2 3 years 12 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    Well, at least they "never exist" when they are perpetrated by those in power. Since 1909 a conspiracy between those in power is only a "conspiracy theory", something to be ridiculed, while a conspiracy against those in power remains a "conspiracy", something to be taken very seriously.
  • golefevre's picture
    golefevre 3 years 12 weeks ago Web link Mike Powers
    "If a government no longer fulfills its sworn duties to the people, and no longer serves the purposes to which it was originally intended, then it too must be cast off and replaced with one that does serve the people, or, it must be forced to return to its inherent foundations." No thanks. It is evident governments serve some people quite nicely and always at the expense of others. I'm not looking for a new pair of shackles.