Jim Davies 17 weeks 2 days ago Page Paul Bonneau
    I missed that, Sam. What's the URL? - and what's "fer"?
    Jim Davies 17 weeks 2 days ago Page Paul Bonneau
    I can agree with a lot there, Will, notably that it's a bad idea to mix cultures rapidly on a big scale; but your conclusion that "blacks are destined for biological reasons to remain an underclass" is an exception. Humans with black skins are still humans, and humans are self-owning, and self-owning humans, given the chance and the understanding, will form free societies and I will help them where I can.   Our adversaries often tell us "Get thee to Somalia" when we oppose government, and my ZGBlog of that title notes that in that area a rather primitive society has been living rather freely for very many generations. I agree with you that I'd sooner stay in this technologically more comfortable country and work for its liberation, than to learn the language and go join them; but don't let's under-rate their success and contentment - and their courage, in resisting the many attempts to force rule upon them.   Somalians are of course not sub-Saharan Africans, and I'm surprised you name the latter as the cause of discord in European cities like Paris. France has a large number of recent North African immigrants who are indeed a source of trouble - Muslims, 11% of the population now if memory serves, and that culture clash is grim. The same is becoming true elsewhere on that Continent.   But "blacks"? - not so much, I thought. There are some from French West Africa, and in the UK there are quite a lot from the "Pink Bits" of the Caribbean and Africa, but those have assimilated, I believe. In the early part of my chequered career I had a bit to do with black newcomers to London, to help them settle, and while there were race riots in Brixton later on, my impression from subsequent visits is that they have taken jobs and rub along with the natives quite well. Even Muslims from Pakistan have not blended in badly. It's a bit of a shock to me to return to Heathrow and hear black or brown employees speaking with a broad Cockney accent!   Those are no doubt second- or third-gen immigrants; I wrote an anecdote here about first-gen black immigrants to London but they, too, were assimilating okay. "Sociable", "amusing" and "not dumb" were adjectives I used in that 2009 STRticle.   As for immigrant blacks gravitating towards welfare in European cities, you may be right; but that is surely the fault of the welfare magnet. Offer a free lunch, and like as not it will be accepted. Yet the  smart ones are supposed to be the whites in charge.
    Samarami 17 weeks 3 days ago Page Paul Bonneau
    As an addendum, Lew Rockwell now and again spews out a good one when he's not supporting Trump for grand wizard, and today's piece hits head-on. A fer piece from Botswana. Sam
    Samarami 17 weeks 3 days ago Page Paul Bonneau
    "...Racial diversity doesn't promote harmony, just the opposite..." Absolutely. Let Walter Williams once again address that more extensively. I see in this interchange the dialectic as to whether government is necessary and deserving of support (not only mine -- but everybody's) , or whether "it" (a brainless abstraction) is not necessary and is deserving of nobody's support. I, for one, choose the latter; and I urge each of you to abstain from beans. Sam
  • Will Groves's picture
    Will Groves 17 weeks 3 days ago Page Paul Bonneau
    It doesn't strike me as an accomplishment to have something approaching voluntaryism among small groups of people in the wild.  I suspect there are still bushmen of the Kalahari who are living in freedom today.  Any of us could experience that sort of liberty right now by heading out into the wilderness and trying to eke out a life stripped away of this technological edifice.  I doubt anyone reading this would permanently give up the comforts of technology in return for the unlimited freedom of the wilderness.  That's not why we think about these issues; it's because we see a potential for us to have our cake and eat it too.    When I read your article about the black underclass, I simply wondered, how is it that the blacks from sub-Saharan Africa, whose families never suffered under slavery, who end up living in Paris, say, end up turning white-built suburbs into unruly ghettos that have the same characteristics as the black-majority cities in the US?  Nobody forces these people to move to Europe, to get on welfare, to be unproductive bums, yet  it happens.  The hatred toward the host culture and violence inevitably follows.  Is it any wonder that whites abandon the areas?   And when this happens, whites get blamed for bad black schools as well, as if whites somehow took the potential for black education with them.      We could extend the list of reasons for black failure endlessly.  Occam's razor is an awfully powerful tool, though, and parsimonious theories are far more compelling than lists of reasons that don't directly trace the effect back to the cause.  IQ and innate behaviorial propensities explain why blacks seem to suffer from never-ending failure while other groups tend to overcome.   It's obvious that very few in this world would choose to live in a purely voluntary way if it were at a subsistence level.  In a technologically advanced mixed society, blacks are destined for  biological reasons to remain an underclass.  Racial diversity doesn't promote harmony, just the opposite.  The consequent and overt disparities in wealth, status and achievement split along racial lines will long into the future remain a point of contention and a justification for black violence.
    Jim Davies 17 weeks 3 days ago Page Paul Bonneau
    Seriously, Will, it's a pleasure to read such a well-composed reply, you make your case well.   The nub of where we disagree is, I think, in "you need to have the potential for civilization [before getting to a voluntary society]".   If you mean by "potential for civilization" a latent or actual ability to take responsibility for one's own life and to behave with respect for one's fellow human beings, then yes, you're right. But in that case I strongly believe that such ability is innate in every human; it's part of our nature, be our lifestyle ever so primitive. You're right to say that it has been severely damaged in (eg) inner-city slums, but my America's Underclass shows whom to blame.   If however you mean by it the achievement of high material standards of living, then no I cannot agree. Mankind lived for 80% of our existence in substantially voluntary societies, but in physical conditions terrible even by Haitian standards. The two subjects are separate.
  • Will Groves's picture
    Will Groves 17 weeks 4 days ago Page Paul Bonneau
    One of the precepts of life in the US commands us to believe that we are all the same inside, that the only reasons that the races have disparate outcomes in our culture is because of pervasive bias, past and present.  Remove and repair those biases and we would all rise to the same level, at least the story goes.    When you look around the world, though, you see that blacks don't do civilization, at least as those of us in industrialized world understand it.  You don't see people making excuses for the Chinese or Japanese or Koreans.  People don't make excuses for the Portugese or Latvians or Swiss.  To greater or lesser extents, these places are civilized and have joined industrial society.  Sub-Saharan Africa has not and probably cannot except by relying on non-blacks to create and maintain the infrastructure for them.   Every majority black city in the US is a corrupt, crime-ridden nightmare.  Is it just government policy?  Haiti is the blackest country in the western hemisphere and also the most impoverished.  Are they discriminating against themselves? Every city that becomes majority black in the US turns into a slum.  Black STD rates are multiples of the white rates.  Are STDs racist?  Or is something else going on?  Japan got nuked, Germany got firebombed, both countries lost tremendous numbers of young men in the second world war, yet twenty years later, both were economically competing head-on with the US.  Africans, after having at least a hundred years, can't seem to recover from the so-called legacy of slavery, even with active discrimination in their favor with regard to jobs and college admissions.     Certainly education is part of getting to a voluntary society; I can't disagree.  However, you need to have the potential for civilization first.  And in that regard, you understood me correctly: I don't see any evidence that voluntary society in the context of a significant black population is possible.
    Samarami 17 weeks 4 days ago Page Paul Hein
    '...There have been, for many decades, in Jefferson City, men who lived on the wealth of others, which they obtained by trickery, force, or threat of force, against the will of the “contributors.” Those practicing this occupation privately were housed, until recently, in the awesome penitentiary. (Now they’re housed a few miles away.) Those who did it for a “public purpose,” as defined by themselves, pursuant to rules they wrote themselves, were given an awesome palace in which to work, attended by pages and secretaries, and the greatest respect and honor. And for countless generations, the victims of the latter group have found their depredations utterly appropriate and fitting, and the splendor of their offices, somehow, a matter of pride for those plundered victims...' Only a fraction of those "convicted" in white men's "courts" ever used force or threats of force against the will of "contributors". Remember Irwin Schiff? Irwin served a life sentence and died in a place they're calling Fort Wort for merely exposing the men and women living and "working" under those other "awsome palaces" scattered around the world -- the genuine thieves, robbers and muggers. Many of the others merely defrauded people who willingly, without coercion, played parts in their schemes in hopes of gain. The new Ironside Hotel in Jeff City is the most expensive in town. Sam
    Jim Davies 17 weeks 4 days ago Page Paul Bonneau
    "If you want a voluntary society, you need people who share your values" - yes, absolutely. That's why, in my view, there is no hope of a voluntary society until there has been a radical revision of values and understanding - a re-education, in fact - of everyone, regardless of race. Not many whites, unfortunately, join us in acknowledging as an axiom that every person has the right of  self-ownership.   But I may have to part company with your final line, for it seems to imply that race has something to do with one's ability to absorb that libertarian re-education. Some intelligence is needed, yes, but I'd have said that an IQ of 85 was ample. Recognition that government is in its nature diametrically opposed to that axiom is almost a no-brainer. And could it not be inferred from what you wrote that voluntaryism is suited not to all human beings (as I would maintain) but only to those of certain racial origins?   To recognize the corollary that we are each responsible for our own survival and success is a bit harder for those whose cultural background over a dozen generations has taught them to work no harder than is necessary to avoid punishment, than for others raised in the "protestant work ethic" - but still, surely, no harder than a "bit."
    Samarami 17 weeks 5 days ago Page Paul Bonneau
    I know little or nothing of libertarian orthodoxy, and I must admit my information processing is fuzzy. After all, I'm well into the octogenarian cycle -- the age of perpetual distraction. I can tell you laddies and lassies -- it don't get a whole lot better :-[. In the realm of information processing, I got Paul's two essays (a couple days apart) intermixed in my comments -- thus, I guess "race" became embedded where it didn't belong (or perhaps it's the other way around, I got "panarchy" vs "individualism" intertwined somehow with the "race" thread). So what I get out of your first paragraph, Will, is that there is indeed a herd mentality around and about. I will not disagree with that. Which (sidestepping "race" -- I'll just let your 6 points stand as an arrangement you prefer to believe without question) brings me to collectivism: Regarding collectivism vs individualism, I can report with veracity that the game is heavily weighted in collectivism -- so much so that individualism is difficult to discern. Even among "libertarians" (quotes intended). Few libertarians want to read and/or study such works as the late Delmar England (this, or this). How many times I see "...China is buying up gold..." or "...the state wants (this or that)..." Neither China nor the state exist -- they are brainless abstractions. People exist. If I can't think free, it's going to be a real chore for me to become free. And I don't have a lot of time left to "become free". I'd suggest anybody reading this listen to the first 10 or 15 minutes of this video. G. Edward Griffin is no anarchist. But He does have a handle on separating the wheat from the chaff in libertarian thinking. Anybody who knows me understands what I think about "libertarian theory". The "...anarchist society (I) want..." is for ME to be free. Don't get me wrong -- I'd like for YOU to be free also. But I'm not responsible for your freedom, only mine. So whether you achieve a modicum of liberty and freedom as a result of our interchange on STR will not affect my freedom except to the extent that I consider you (now) to be my "cyber friend", and that does indeed throw an ounce or three of concern upon me. I see this as a place to augment freedom, not argue and bicker over "theory". You may be right about race. You've certainly gathered an apocrypha of statistics to support your stance. But my mantra is that I can be free now. Here. Today. Where I'm "at". I believe that you can be also. However, I am a society of one. I'd like for my kids, my grandkids (#26 due in August), my great grandkids (#6 due in June), and their progeny after I'm gone, to acquire liberty and freedom also. Believe me -- that's my hope and my aspiration (in my messages to them and to you). But I must be free in order to be of much influence. If liberty's to be, it's up to me. Not thee. Sam .
  • Will Groves's picture
    Will Groves 17 weeks 5 days ago Page Paul Bonneau
    It's funny how libertarian orthodoxy eventually gets in the way of information processing just like every other orthodoxy.  It might be consistent with libertarianism to treat every person on an individual basis, but society is not a linear system equal to the sum of its parts.  Individuals behave one way, yet groups composed of those individuals exhibit very different behavior.  It's a hugely nonlinear networked system.   Even if we granted that all of us are mixed race to an extent, just because race is a continuum doesn't mean it doesn't exist any more than saying that the colors of the rainbow can't be identified because they also exist on a continuum.  Rude as the comparison may seem, nobody assumes that golden retrievers, fox terriers, and border collies have identical propensities for certain behaviors even though they all come from the same genetic root stock and can interbreed.   Libertarian theory needs to get beyond the dogma that supposes "because individual, therefore society."  That is ignoring reality.  We live in families, in neighborhoods, and extended networks.  In industrial civilization, the functioning largely relies on networks of trust outside of one's family.  The anarchist society you want is the one that is high-trust, high-intelligence, low-violence.  There is no reason at all to assume that the races have equal propensity for this.  There is enormous evidence to the contrary.   When we talk about "the black economist" Walter Williams, this is the sort of exception that proves the rule.  If race doesn't matter, then how does mentioning race add to the discussion?  Nobody mentions race when white people write intelligently.  It's because high intelligence and articulation is so rare among blacks that it's noteworthy.  My sense is that most people who ever mention that they have black friends do so to signal that they aren't racists.  If race doesn't matter, then why point it out?   While I subscribe to libertarian/anarchist logic, I'm of the opinion that race matters. 1.  Pull out your statistics books and try this for yourself.  American blacks have an IQ average of 85, whites about 100.  The standard deviation in both cases is around 15.  Do the math and you'll see that approximately 1 in every 6 blacks has the IQ of the average white. 2.  The average engineer in the US has an IQ around 126.  Only 3 out of 1000 blacks would have an IQ that high, while about 40 out of every 1000 whites would measure at least at that level. 3.  15% of blacks have IQs below 70, while only about 2% of whites would score that low.  4.  Blacks commit about half of all homicides in the US while accounting for only about 13% of the population. 5.  Black males commit 40X more assaults against whites than vise versa. 6.  Sub-Saharan Africans never discovered the wheel, woven cloth, or the plow.  They never domesticated an animal, never created a written language, never had a calendar.  No metallurgy, no length standards, no weight standards.   Like I said in my original comment, you aren't going to have voluntaryism with a significant black population. The existence of exceptional individuals doesn't negate this.  Black failure to achieve isn't a result of disadvantaged circumstances as much as inferior intelligence combined with a high propensity for violence.  It's not that if you had 1000 fox terriers you couldn't find one that could be a good shepherd.  It's that fox terriers don't make good shepherds.    If you want a voluntary society, you need people who share your values.  There is undoubtedly a genetic component to that, and facing that fact head-on, despite the possibly uncomfortable racial realities, ultimately serves that goal much better than putting our heads in the sand and pretending race doesn't matter.
    Paul 17 weeks 5 days ago Page Paul Bonneau
    Yeah, those Asians had better stop mixing with inferiors like "white" people - we wouldn't want to degrade humanity. Sheesh. No matter how I try to understand it, I find the collectivist mindset incomprehensible.
    Paul 17 weeks 5 days ago Page Paul Bonneau
    BTW I should note I actually used the word "nigger" in my title, not "n*gger". I consider the dancing around words similar to what a parent does to get a child to avoid four-letter words - fine for that purpose, but not for conversations among adults. Also it's just more PC for dark brown people to be able to use it, but not light brown people (although using it and other such words for the purpose of belittling others is ugly). A word is just a word; intention is what matters.
    Paul 17 weeks 5 days ago Page Paul Bonneau
    "Or, I should say, remove it from my suspicion that the promulgators are longing to govern, rule, or "lead" folks other than themselves and their families." Well, rejecting that is exactly the point of panarchy. The desire to join one or another "archy" within panarchy is more a tactical consideration than anything. I would probably join the ancap polity even though I don't believe things a lot of ancaps do, just because there is safety in numbers. But joining the "none of the above" polity, or no polity at all, remains an option.
    Paul 17 weeks 5 days ago Page Paul Bonneau
    No, I didn't realize that sub forum was available only to members. Dang! Keep in mind that this was just another thought experiment, but even in that context the bottom-up nature of the change envisioned makes oppression of panarchists at least substantially more difficult. But certainly it would not hurt if more people were armed; that always tends to give pause.
    Jim Davies 17 weeks 5 days ago Page Paul Bonneau
    "attacking me"? - far from it, Brian. As I wrote, your question is good. I showed the answer.
  • Brian Mast's picture
    Brian Mast 17 weeks 6 days ago Page Paul Bonneau
    Re: Jim. I'm not sure if you are trying to be humorous or if you are attacking me. Re: Sam, I have no state either, and under the above choices I would select none of the above. I am already quite comfortable being on my own. I've been an Anarchist for well over a decade. You and I have exchanged several messages a few years back Sam. I formerly had zygodactyl as a username and I was and still am a truck driver. I lack the time to get into disputes between Paul and his opposition, but I am considering all of the points that are being made from all anti-statist sides. It would be nice if a good percentage of Statists would convert to anti-statism, but I don't see that happening any time soon unless Jims TOLFA plan works out. My question should not have been so thoughtlessly dismissed. We already know how the media manipulates the news. If a group of punks break into store fronts, the media tells us that anarchists did that. If cops invade a well armed household; that place gets labled as a bunker. The oligarchy will not just stand down as their power and extorted income declines. We should anticipate their responses and take strategic action. These will be necessary considerations as a critical mass adopts either Anarchy or Panarchy. Ignorance is not strength.
    Samarami 17 weeks 6 days ago Page Paul Bonneau
    Brian Mast: "...What will be the reaction of the ruling oligarchy that controls the government be?..." Which "government" -- yours, or mine? I am a sovereign state. I treat your "ruling oligarchy" as I treat rattlesnakes. The psychopaths who hide under the guise of that brainless abstraction exist. I can't deny that. And they can be lethal -- each individually, and especially all collectively. They are all collectivists, and they do work collectively. If I carelessly give them reign to strike me at critical points of my anatomy I can be greatly harmed. Therefore (treating your government with the rattlesnake analogy), I wear tall boots to the woods. I walk slowly, watch where I step and stay alert when and where I reach. You might say that limits my freedom. You would be correct. I do not claim anarchy produces unlimited freedom to do anything I want. And particularly I do not claim anarchy gives me any "rights" to interfere in the freedom of you or anybody else. Anarchy implies that I will behave appropriately in the absence of rulers or oligarchies. I do hope in my lifetime to see millions -- perhaps billions -- of individuals declare sovereignty. That won't happen collectively -- it will be one individual declaration at a time. And they will not need a "Free State Project" or any other collective to bring it about. Sam
    Samarami 17 weeks 6 days ago Page Paul Bonneau
    Think I recently posted here my list of now over 120 "ism's" and "archy's" I've encountered on the web in my scant 15 or 20 years' exposure. So I won't take up space with that today. "Panarchy" is among them. I'm affiliated with none, intend to join none. As I perceive them, each of the 120+ (most reading this could add one or a few more that I've overlooked or missed altogether) seem to have encrypted within them very subtle desires to rule others -- to lead-the-flock-to-freedom. I could be wrong about that. If Paul chooses to offer solid substantiation of my error as regards "Panarchy", I shall be glad to remove it from the list. Or, I should say, remove it from my suspicion that the promulgators are longing to govern, rule, or "lead" folks other than themselves and their families. I'll leave it on the list, since Panarchy is definitely an archy, or archism. I am a sovereign state. Originally I would post that as rather of a tongue-in-cheek declaration. Eventually I came to see that once one achieves full-fledged anarchy s/he is automatically christened "sovereign" (by herself); therefore, a "sovereign state". If I'm wrong about that as pertains to you, I don't mean you. Go your way in peace. I'm not going to fight you over it. Nor will I rattle bones in attempt to get you disfellowshipped from STR because you disagree with me about that or anything else. Same with "rights". I've never declared that you have no rights. I've not declared that I have no rights for that matter ('tho I claim no "rights"). I have said that I ceased using the term some years ago as a part of my disengaging from statist mindset (thanks, Delmar England). I state that I make choices -- and, among my choices has been engaging in the challenge of sidestepping the beast wherever possible. Many there are who will go to extreme lengths to interfere with the choices I make. That's an occupational hazard of the anarchist lifestyle. It's interesting to dream up means by which one can navigate around "...voluntary compliance...". Sam
    Jim Davies 17 weeks 6 days ago Page Paul Bonneau
    "What will be the reaction of the ruling oligarchy...?"   Good question, Brian. One nuclear bomb would quite ruin their day.   More at Panarchy is for Losers.
    Jim Davies 17 weeks 6 days ago Page Paul Bonneau
    Excellent comment, Will - especially that final line.   You mention the amazing athletes from Kenya and the African Horn, so you'll agree that there are many exceptions to the general norms and averages. This week the best article I read was by the very black economist Walter Williams, on the subject of rights - which has confused a number of whites, even a pseudo-libertarian. And nearby there is a fine comment by mishochu, which reveals an IQ a long way above the average.
  • Brian Mast's picture
    Brian Mast 17 weeks 6 days ago Page Paul Bonneau
    Hello Paul, That link to the forum only works if you are registered to ZeroGov. I am not sure if you were aware of that. I have long been familiar with Bill Buppert and his website, so I went ahead and registered there as Bman1. I will post the following both here and there in the hopes of maximizing thoughts: I, as an Anarchist, do not oppose trying Panarchy. Looking at it from the bigger picture, a question arises that I haven't yet seen discussed: What will be the reaction of the ruling oligarchy that controls the government be? I am referring to the banksters, Wall Street, the Trilateral Commission, etc. I do not know the answer to that question, but it bears tactical consideration.
    Samarami 18 weeks 1 hour ago Page Paul Bonneau
    "Violence, welfare, broken families incentivize lower IQ behavior. Most, if not all, of those incentives emanate from the state..." Absolutely. And, to take that another step down the road: when one can see that the deficit or character defect in question is one that can and "should" (we could write a volume or two on "should") be resolved at the personal and/or the family level, psychopaths hiding under the guise of that brainless abstraction we like to call "government" gallop in to "rescue" the victim (with stolen resources), making it "unnecessary" for her to take personal actions that would bring her "up to speed" (read: "like 'white folks'" -- more about that mentality in a moment). So now they have successfully not only created the victim, but also have brought in the victim mentality to make it quite American. The thing that makes our task as anarchists so challenging is the fact that each of us (I can't speak for you or anybody other than myself -- except, in this case, I think most reading this will agree, so I'm using the first-person plural) -- each of us has been so inundated over so many years with collectivist ideology, that it is difficult to detach reality from superstition. Some of the inoculations are overt (pledges of allegiance, political holidays, et al.) aggrandizing government wars and other heinous machinations of the lunatics who make up the abstraction seen of as state. Many are quite subtle implantations. Racism (racial discrimination) is collectivist. Collectivism and governmentalism are siblings. As I stated in a previous post, each of us is interracial in one way or another. Incest is unhealthy and not recommended by anybody. Impregnating a first or even a second cousin is of questionable health integrity. This is true with the animal kingdom as well as with human kind. So, for a member one group, or "race", to hate or denigrate a member(s) of another group (due to presumed deficits) is the height of collectivist stupidity. The IQ/geneticist "shmexperts" are collectivists through and though. They couldn't take into consideration the non-presence of incentives for increased learning capability if it bit them in the arse. Examples of "blacks" not achieving as a group or collectively engaging in theft are moot -- they have nothing to do with anything. Oh, and I meant to add something about the "like-white-folks" mentality. It's not just "Caucasians" who should try to make it a practice to engage in free thinking. Pulling each other down for being "dark black" as opposed to "light black" or "acting white" is a blight among many Africans that I've known, and it's senseless. How can I be at fault for the tone of my epithelium? I am where I am, and can go where I want to go. (Someone important said that. It must have been me, 'cause I can't google it). Anarchists, if anybody, should see through all this quite clearly. Sam
  • mishochu's picture
    mishochu 18 weeks 9 hours ago Page Paul Bonneau
    Thanks Sam, I vaguely remember that quote but could never repeat it off-hand when needed. The race thing is always funny to me. Leftist friends I have cannot fathom why I (an African man) am against affirmative action (they're also afraid to even talk about race). Sometimes I feel the obligation to correct internet wrongs or change minds (after all, I've been assigned a skin color that gives me some immunity from political correctness). I'll sometimes ask, "Should I check MY white privilege?" That privilege just doesn't exist. To the IQ/genetics discussion: the averages will never rise unless incentives for lower IQ are eliminated. Violence, welfare, broken families incentivize lower IQ behavior. Most, if not all, of those incentives emanate from the state.
    Samarami 18 weeks 1 day ago Page Paul Bonneau
    Sorry to double-dip, but Harry Browne had an interesting observation in the ongoing razzmatazz of "conservative" vs "liberal" statism: Conservatives vs Liberals Conservatives say government cannot end poverty by force, but they believe government can use force and threats of violence to make people moral. Liberals say government cannot make people moral, but they believe government can use force and threats of violence to end poverty (redistribute wealth). Neither group attempts to explain why government is so clumsy and destructive in one area but a paragon of efficiency and benevolence in the other. ~Harry Browne Liberty A-Z p 35
    Samarami 18 weeks 1 day ago Page Paul Bonneau
    "...Both sides are also in agreement, that the remedy must be done via government..." You hit the nail on the head: "racism", from its very outset, is definitely a GSE (government-sponsored-enterprise). If there were no such superstition as government, there could be no such insanity as racism. Human bigotry, yes. That might always be present in one form or another among a small number, even after people are truly free of government. And it might sometimes manifest as black vs white, (keep in mind that we are all of race-mixed ancestry, unless products of incest); Ukrainians vs Russians (neither actually exist -- borders are but fictitious lines in the sand. People exist -- some living in places they're currently calling "Ukraine" and/or "Russia"). Once government capsizes, I truly hope borders will indeed be erased and totally forgotten. Nationalism is definitely GSE. I was a government ("public" ha ha) educator in what was known as "the segregated south" (before, during and after "integration"). Ask me about GSE's. Jim Crow was a government sponsored enterprise from stem to stern. Many non-African individuals came out of that ignorance with severe guilt over not having revolted and rebelled against those "laws". From them come many of the anarchists among us. Good essay, Paul. Sam
  • Will Groves's picture
    Will Groves 18 weeks 1 day ago Page Paul Bonneau
    The notion of a technologically-advanced society based on voluntary principles is inconceivable in the context of a significant black population.  When people observe in their everyday lives that blacks seem less intelligent and more prone to violence, this isn't unfounded.  There are huge numbers of academic studies showing that blacks have much lower IQs than asians, Jews, and whites.  For instance, use Sci-Hub to read the whole article, or just read the abstract here:  http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160289609001275  Or this one:  http://pss.sagepub.com/content/17/10/921.extract  Or this one:  http://www.amren.com/news/2015/07/new-doj-statistics-on-race-and-violent-crime/   Any white westerner with the average IQ of a sub-saharan african would be labeled mentally handicapped.   When I worked in semiconductor R&D, white engineers were utterly outnumbered by asians and east-Indians.  However, the only black people I'm aware of worked in the security department and in the cafeteria.  Seeing that the management unquestionably selected and promoted people on the basis of achievement, intelligence, productivity, work ethic, and had programs to capture all the "underrepresented" minorities in engineering, including women, it's not that they weren't looking for qualified blacks.     Another curious data point: when I was in graduate school, the only thefts that occurred from our laboratory were performed by the one and only black student in our department, who stole books and sold them to a bookstore.  Unsurprisingly, when it was discovered, the department gave him a pass and those of us who discovered the crime were told a story that began with, "Have you ever heard of a stigma?"   It's funny how nobody seems surprised or outraged that the Olympic 100-yard dash finals are always a competition among people with west-African origins, that the east-Africans dominate marathons, that the NFL is 70% black, or that the NBA is over 70% black.    Simply put, technological society values trustworthy and intelligent people.  Naturally, affirmative action is an illogical absurdity.  If it were discarded wholesale, though, we should not be surprised that the outcomes would strongly skew toward asians, Jews, and whites for all technically-advanced professions.   Nothing I've written here conflicts with individualist principles.  Of course people should be treated on an individual basis.  Race exists, and as the crime statistics show, it's not so much the white "I-hate-niggers" crowd that's doing the violent crime.  That award goes to the blacks.  As ever, diversity is wonderful when it comes to skills and talents, but there's nowhere in the world you can point where racial diversity and societal harmony go together.  The high levels of trust required among the inhabitants of a libertarian society is not consistent in the context of large numbers of people of various races living among each other.    Finally, wishing for mixing with peoples of inferior intelligence is to wish for the decline of humanity.  I can't see much value in that.
  • rettafontana's picture
    rettafontana 18 weeks 2 days ago
    Cash Is King
    Page Retta Fontana
    Alex have you seen this? "The $100 Startup: Fire Your Boss, Do What You Love and Work Better to Live More" It's a kind of "how to" by Chris Guillebeau. I started reading it on Amazon and it has a lot of practical advice.
    KenK 18 weeks 3 days ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    Some context here: Sanders & wife's yearly income was less than what Hillary got for one single speech, $234k vs. $250k, so I'm not too worried about that particular populist angle. Paying as much tax as possible isn't a virtue, in my opinion, either.
  • rettafontana's picture
    rettafontana 18 weeks 3 days ago Page Retta Fontana
    That's so kind of you, Jim! Thanks!
    Jim Davies 18 weeks 3 days ago
    A UK Decsion Point
    Blog entry Jim Davies
    Speaking of Brits, today is Patriot's Day, when in 1775 that famous first shot was fired. To mark the occasion I'm announcing a new e-book: How Government Silenced Irwin Schiff; find it here. Any who dislike paying the alleged income tax will want to read it.   Irwin died half a year ago, as noted in the ZGBlog Schiff's Crusade.
    Jim Davies 18 weeks 6 days ago Page Retta Fontana
    In the next edition of A Vision of Liberty, I'll link to this one.  Another super job, Retta.   Jim
  • Bob Sherman's picture
    Bob Sherman 19 weeks 1 day ago
    Cash Is King
    Page Retta Fontana
    Things have less meaning than experiences -> Well put! We all invest too much of our time in working to buy stuff we don't need or won't even remember we've bought 2 years from now.
    Jim Davies 19 weeks 2 days ago
    Staying North
    Blog entry Jim Davies
    Thank you, Sam, very gracious.
    Samarami 19 weeks 3 days ago
    Staying North
    Blog entry Jim Davies
    "...The blame lies squarely upon government, with unions close behind..." As usual, Jim, your essay is absolutely on target. The incestuous intertwining of those brainless abstractions we call "government", and "unions", and "churches" is incredible. All, in their own light, are superstitions pure and simple. And all work together to wreak havoc upon those who worship at their alters -- the state being the most egregious of them all, since all of what we like to call "jurisdiction" rests with the firearms and the firepower in the hands of their agents. The enormity of the truth is unbelievable. You do an excellent job of bringing it to the surface for exposure to all who will listen. Thanks for another good article. Sam
    Jim Davies 19 weeks 3 days ago
    Cash Is King
    Page Retta Fontana
    Your article inspired today's Zero Government Blog, called Freedom, Now and Then - see my entry "Delights to Come" in http://strike-the-root.com/blogs
    Samarami 20 weeks 1 hour ago Web link KenK
    This reeks of the classic dominant social theme syndrome embedded in most mainstream press. If you don't grasp "dominant social theme" I can no longer help you (unless I cut, paste and post the entire Daily Bell definition I have in my library -- possibly "illegal" according to copyright "law"), as Bell for some reason has seen fit to scuttle access to their definitions glossary. Of course the presence of the group of psychopaths hiding under the brainless abstraction called "state" eliminates common sense. So arguing whether gays or transsexuals or those in between "should" be allowed in your or my or anybody else's bathroom is moot. But it's funny how they use the sacred cow of sexuality in the genius of divide-and-conquer. 25 years ago I had never heard of "sexual orientation". I think, after they were successful in introducing the word "gay" as a euphemism for homosexual; it was first called "sexual preference". But then it turned out to be politically incorrect to imply that one had "preferences" in how s/he fooled around sexually. Either is you is or is you ain't homosexual -- you have no "choice" in the "matter". So some mastermind came up with the brilliant idea of inculcating "orientation" into it. That was a stroke of genius. It solidified the "condition". Oh, how terrible it must be to live in your own body and work through your own desires and "preferences"! Fortunate for me, I'm the richest man in town and like the body I'm in. And, as I've said before, grateful to have lived it in the body of a male (meaning no offense to you ladies, mind you). I wouldn't want to have faced some of the issues with which you gals have had to cope just to get by. And rest assured, I have no desire to come into your bathroom. Haven't made that egregious error since I quit drinking almost 35 years ago. Sam
    Samarami 20 weeks 2 days ago Web link Bri_Voluntaryist
    This is a decent treatment of individualism vs collectivism, although I don't think the word "collectivism" or "collectivist" occurs in the piece. Many years ago when I first began to serf the web, and I became focused upon individualist thinking, I was moved by the inordinate amount of "anarchist theory". Seemed everybody and anybody had an idea as to how freedom would, or should, work out -- how to "arrange anarchy" (an oxymoron if there ever was one). I saw the contradictions, but was not able to catalog them in any sensible order. So I started to simply jot down each time I came across a "theory". The list grew -- unmanageable. So, I put them on the computer in an alphabetical program -- and, later, began to index each to a website. It's a work in progress. This will be long, but I'd like to list what I have so far: Various Anarchist and Libertarian Labels • Abolitionism http://www.strike-the-root.com/62/allport/allport4.html • Acclarism http://www.reddit.com/r/acclarism/ • Agorism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agorism • Anagorism (http://anagory.wordpress.com/2013/03/29/antilibertarian-antistatism/) • Anarcha-Feminism http://dailyanarchist.com/category/anarcha-feminism/ • Anarchy http://faculty.msb.edu/hasnasj/GTWebSite/Obvious.pdf • Anarcho-Capitalism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarcho-capitalism • Anarcho-communism https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/wayne-price-what-is-anarchist-co... • Anarcho-Kritarchy http://dailyanarchist.com/2015/04/06/no-true-anarchist/comment-page-1/#c... (See Kritarchy) • Anarcho-pacifism https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchist_schools_of_thought#Anarcho-pacifism • Anarcho-primitivism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarcho-primitivism • Anarcho-syndicalism http://dailyanarchist.com/category/anarcho-syndicalism/ • Antilibertarian antistatism (see “Anagorism”) • Anti-Positivism • Apriorism • Autarchism (Le Fevre) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autarchism • Black Anarchism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_anarchism • Buddhist Anarchism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_anarchism • Carsonian mutualism http://www.socialmemorycomplex.net/2006/04/21/vulgar-libertarian-revisio... • Christian Anarchism http://dailyanarchist.com/category/christian-anarchism/ • Civil Libertarianism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_libertarianism • Classical Liberalism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_liberalism • Collectivist anarchism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collectivist_anarchism • Communism • Communitarian anarchism http://www.ic.org/wiki/communitarian-anarchism/ • Consequentialism • Dialectical Libertarianism http://c4ss.org/content/15318 • Eco-agorism • Eco-Libertarianism • Eco-Socialist-Libertarian • Egalitarian Anarchism http://uscundercurrent.wordpress.com/2010/11/20/what-an-egalitarian-anar... • Egoist anarchism (Max Stirner) • Establishment liberal left • Existentialism http://anarchiststandard.com/2015/11/subjective-meaning-objective-ethics... • Explicitly anarchism, pro-decentralist libertarians (Kinsella) • Extreme Minarchism http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=8167.0;wap2 • Free Market Anarchism • Free Market Capitalism http://www.lewrockwell.com/rothbard/rothbard146.html • Geoanarchism • Geoism (see “Georgism”) • Geolibertarianism • Georgism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgism • Green-Libertarianism • Individualism • Individualist anarchism • Individualist/collectivist anarchist Individualist/collectivist anarchism • Insurrectionary anarchism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insurrectionary_anarchism • Kantianism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immanuel_Kant) • Kratoclism http://www.marketmentat.com/i-think-i-maked-up-a-word-two-actually/ • Kritarchy http://www.voluntaryist.com/backissues/135.pdf P 8 • Las Portadas (“Seasteading”) http://wiki.seasteading.org/index.php/Las_Portadas • Leftarchism https://rudd-o.com/archives/leftarchism • Left Libertarianism • Left Market Anarchism http://c4ss.org/ • Left-Rothbardians • Legal Positivism • Liberal socialism • Liberalism • Libertarian • Libertarian Anarchism • Libertarian conservatism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarian_conservatism • Libertarian Populism (James Ostrowski) • Libertarian Relativism http://takimag.com/article/the_relativist_roots_of_libertarianism/#axzz2... • Libertarian Socialism • Libertarian Solipsism http://www.masson.us/blog/libertarian-solipsism/ • Libertarian Transhumanism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarian_transhumanism • Localism and decentralization • Logical Positivism • Market anarchism • Minarchism • Modal Libertarianism • Modern Liberalism • Modest Libertarianism http://www.informationphilosopher.com/freedom/modest_libertarianism.html • Moral consequentialism • Moral Libertarianism http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2216836?sid=21105612397333&uid=70&... • • Muslim Anarchism http://dailyanarchist.com/category/muslim-anarchism/ • Mutualism http://mutualist.blogspot.com/2006/03/p2p-cooperatives-and-counter-econo... • Natural-rights libertarianism • Neo-liberalism • Neolibertarianism • Objectivism • Originalism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Originalism • Panarchism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panarchy • Patrio-psychotic anarcho-materialism http://www.subgenius.com/ • Philosophical Anarchism http://radgeek.com/gt/2015/12/05/the-self-confidence-argument/ • Platformism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platformism • Plumbline Libertarianism • Polycentrism • Post-Anarchism • Post-left anarchy • Post-modernism • Post-structuralism • Praxeology • Primitivism • Progressive Libertarianism • Propertarianism http://www.propertarianism.com/ • Punkish/syndicalist/queer radical social anarchism (above two from Rad Geek site) • Queer anarchism http://dailyanarchist.com/category/queer-anarchism/ • Radical Libertarianism http://www.informationphilosopher.com/freedom/radical_libertarianism.html • Radical minarchists • Right Libertarianism • Rothbardian strain of market anarchism • Schmodal Libertarianism • Scientific Anarchism Social Darwinian right-wing economics • Situationism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Situationist_International • Socialism • Socialist Anarchism • Socialist-Libertarianism • Sortocracy http://sortocracy.org/ • syndicalism • Syndicalist Anarchism • Thick Libertarianism http://c4ss.org/content/23175 • Thin Libertarianism http://c4ss.org/content/23175 • Transhumanist Anarchism http://c4ss.org/content/17838 • Utilitarianism (Friedman’s strain of Anarcho-capitalism) • Utopian socialism • Voluntarism http://voluntaryist.com/fundamentals/introduction.html#.VwXDCHoYM20 • Vulgar Libertarianism http://www.socialmemorycomplex.net/2006/04/21/vulgar-libertarian-revisio... • Zenarchism Sam
    Jim Davies 20 weeks 3 days ago
    Cash Is King
    Page Retta Fontana
    Of course!  Thanks for confirming.   So I'm going to take all the joy you express in this great STRticle and square it, to describe the pleasure of having that knowledge - even in our presently heavily-governed environment.
    Samarami 20 weeks 4 days ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    Correct, M-Macks! And, anybody who knows me understands I am a strong advocate for homeschooling -- for the reasons you outline and infer. Sam
  • mjackso6's picture
    mjackso6 20 weeks 4 days ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    Sam, I think we all agree on the underlying unreality of conceptual "objects" like counties and concepts like citizenship, but I do believe some valid points are made here. People, in large part because of their belief and participation in such fictions are allowing themselves and their children to be "dumbed down" (whether this is a flaw in the "educational" system or simply it functioning as intended... well, that's another question). I personally don't see this as a fixable or even valid system; compulsory "education" is just incarceration and indoctrination. If parents want to avoid this, I believe home schooling, or more specifically ~un-schooling~, is probably the best answer.
  • rettafontana's picture
    rettafontana 20 weeks 4 days ago
    Cash Is King
    Page Retta Fontana
    Thanks, Jim!
  • rettafontana's picture
    rettafontana 20 weeks 4 days ago
    Cash Is King
    Page Retta Fontana
    Hey Alex! Thanks so much for your comments. It is thrilling to know that I have inspired you! One thing I've learned is that what works well this month, doesn't work at all the next month. I have to keep experimenting and try not to project. Shoulder to plow! I am happy to be back at writing again. I'm just a bit rusty but I feel happy with myself. XO Retta
  • rettafontana's picture
    rettafontana 20 weeks 4 days ago
    Cash Is King
    Page Retta Fontana
    Knowing that I own myself - of course!!
    Samarami 20 weeks 4 days ago Web link Melinda L. Secor
    "America" has not become stupid. America does not exist. People exist. It might be true that many individuals in a place many have been calling "America" (which I assume would include a place called "Canada", as well as central and south "America") are stupid. That would be in the eyes of the beholder. And, as the late Delmar England has observed, if one can't escape "...the government-centered way of thinking with which we are indoctrinated from birth..." in one's writing, s/he will forevermore flounder around in half-assed "anarchy". And half-assed "anarchy" is probably stupider than full-assed statism. For example, the author laments over: "...Seventy-three percent couldn’t correctly say why we fought the Cold War. Forty-four percent were unable to define the Bill of Rights. And 6 percent couldn’t even circle Independence Day on a calendar..." First of all, "we" didn't fight in any "Cold War" that I know of. At least I didn't fight in a "Cold War". I can't speak for you. Secondly, I don't want to belabor my little brain concerning the white man's so-called Bill of Rights. I have no dog in his fight, and he couldn't grant me any "rights" if I did. And, third -- whose "independence day" would you want me to circle??? Every grand wizard of every political entity called "nation" everywhere on the face of the globe from the beginning of recorded history has come up with celebrations supposedly depicting "independence". I want no part of it. Who's stupid??? (or "stupider"???) Sam
    Jim Davies 20 weeks 4 days ago
    Cash Is King
    Page Retta Fontana
    A friendly amendment: a "black market economy" might be better called white.   Also a question: from which do you derive more pleasure, (a) knowing that you own yourself, regardless of how you choose to earn bread, or (b) earning bread by serving several customers instead of just one?
    Alex R. Knight III 20 weeks 5 days ago
    Cash Is King
    Page Retta Fontana
    Retta:  You may have already seen on Facebook, but I just also read this great e-book (for free!), and it compounds and expands on what you have to say here.  You may want to check it out:   http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0195CE37O/ref=pe_385040_188798810_TE_M1T1DP
    Jim Davies 20 weeks 5 days ago
    Cash Is King
    Page Retta Fontana
    You hit another one for six! (That's the English, cricket equivalent of out-of-the-ballpark.)   Cash is indeed king, which no doubt explains the current rumors about de-throning it. Any practical experience yet of Bitcoin, or other forms of non-government money?
    Alex R. Knight III 20 weeks 6 days ago
    Cash Is King
    Page Retta Fontana
    Retta, good to see you back here again lately, and that things are going well for you!  This is a great one, and crystallizes what I've felt for a long time now.  I've REALLY had it with employers and LONG to be rid of them once and for all.  No matter what it takes.   I've tried for years now to make it as a writer, but that always seems to be a "someday never" proposition.  I have been learning welding, however, and have been approached about the prospect of doing some private tutoring.   Maybe something will bear fruit.  Regardless, this essay gives me the motivation keep trying to break free.  :-)
    Samarami 21 weeks 1 hour ago Web link strike
    You really need to watch this WSJ video. "...Kookie (read: 'libertarian') -is-in-the-eye-of-the-beholder.." (giggle giggle giggle). Don't get me wrong: like Block's support of the clown "running" for U.S. grand wizard, the "free state project" phenomenon is crazy-making from its inception as far as I can tell. Not far removed from "...hair of the dog..." to the drunk. And I suppose I would be concerned if I depended upon "libertarian-ism" (as a movement) to make me free. I don't. I genuinely want you to find the freedom you seek. But, in case you don't, I will still be free. But mainstream media types are obviously terrified of the incessant move toward freedom -- and the internet reformation that is sweeping it along. Sam